Tuna Salad without Mayo

Anyone have recipes for tuna salad WITHOUT mayo? I like tuna salad, but would like to try different versions without the fat/calories of mayo.

Thank you to all!
Monnat96 from Pingree Grove, IL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Pat 03/26/2008

Try using 1/2 mayo and 1/2 mustard; or try mixing tuna with plain lowfat yogurt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jane (Guest Post) 03/26/2008

I've even used ranch dressing! It was yummy!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By doodles 8 64 03/26/2008

Try www.cooks.com - They have never failed me, even if w/ nothing more than inspiration!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sharon (Guest Post) 03/26/2008

I use pickle juice. You can also use just a few teaspoons of water....anything that will make it spreadable. If you add celery or onions or something crunchy, you can hardly tell there's no mayo.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By MB Norton 6 180 03/26/2008

I make a dressing using no fat plain yogurt, no fat sour cream (about 1/2 of each) and a tablespoon or two (to taste) of no fat mayo or salad dressing (Miracle Whip makes a good no fat version). Just mix it up and add garlic powder and dried dill weed. Yum. this is also good as a vegetable dip, and with tuna and salmon patties. You don't have to be exact with your measurements, or with your ingredients. I have made it sans sour cream if I did not have any.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Janice C. 18 710 03/26/2008

Chop up an avocado with it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sherry 1 57 03/26/2008

I make tuna salad with spicy brown mustard instead of mayo. You could also use regular mustard. Make the tuna salad the same way you do with mayo but just substitute mustard instead. It's very good!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By ChloeA 10 134 03/26/2008

Mix in cream cheese and cocktail sauce to taste, plus a little bit of dehydrated onion flakes and parsley. This makes more of a spread and is very good on crackers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Holly 367 1,264 03/26/2008

www.rachaelray.com has recipes for tuna salad without mayo. She uses evoo instead.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Donna B. (Guest Post) 03/27/2008

My husband puts mustard on the bread, then puts tuna on bread. Very good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cheryl in Yellville, Ar. (Guest Post) 03/27/2008

My husband and I don't care for Mayo so we make ours like this- it's pretty low calorie also. We mix the proportions however we wish, but it is something like this:

1 can tuna, drained
2 Tbsp. mustard
2 Tbsp. dill relish

You can make it moister or more dry as your taste prefers.
Good luck in your recipe search.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan 8 1,368 04/01/2008

My father uses a light vinegrette dressing on his.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By samaree 5 126 04/01/2008

I like tuna with really chunky fresh salsa, pepper, onion flakes and parsley. It sounds kind of weird, but it's wonderful. I like to use tortilla chips to scoop this up, but you could put it on bread, pita, tortilla, crackers, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Karen (Guest Post) 02/18/2009

I make Tuna Salad with this salad dressing: 1 TB of Tahini, 1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil, 1 fresh squeezed lemon zest, a sprinkle of black pepper, and 1 TB or 2 of Bragg's Liquid Aminos (but soy sauce could work). I'm also guessing on the amounts I just throw stuff in a small bowl to mix before I add it to the Tuna. Hope you enjoy it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kim JS 12/28/2010

I used 2 tbsp sour cream, 1 tbsp ranch dressing, 1 tbsp relish, some spicy brown mustard and some hot pepper. It was great

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Teresa A 3 10 06/26/2015

I've been dieting lately and am enjoying rigatoni pasta with tuna and fresh vegetables. I don't measure the amounts but I start with a couple of hand fulls of rigatoni. Boil them in salt water until al-dente. Mix in a can of water packed tuna, some cut up summer squash, peas or broccoli, a few cocktail pickled onions halved, and a splash of good olive oil. Using the rigatoni I found I don't need a lot of pasta to give me that full feeling.

Other fresh vegetables good for substituting can be sliced carrots, zuccini, or what ever you have on hand or like. The peas I do blanch and canned beans or garbanzo beans would work well also. A good quality of olive oil is a tasty substitute for mayonaise. I've been taking variations of the salad to work for lunch a couple of times a week and it's so much better than most fast food lunches I used to eat. Plus it has the health advantage of using raw vegetables instead of cooked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No