Crocheted Diaper Bag Accessories

Traveling with a baby means an extra bag to tote. If that bag is not organized, changing baby can be quite a challenge. I have designed three original pieces to go into your diaper bag. They are lightweight and can come in quite handy.

First, I designed a pad to lay your baby on for changing his/her diaper. A double layer of double crochet crocheted together to make a comfy and clean spot to do the change and rolls up to fit in your diaper bag. Made bigger, this would make a great pad to lay on the ground for baby to take a nap on in a park or anywhere you would like to use it. It could be tied to the outside of your diaper bag.

Second, I crocheted two sizes of bags to carry wet wipes and clean clothes or wet clothes, whichever the case may be. They are waterproof because the bags are lined with Ziploc bags. You could make several of these to carry anything that might leak in your diaper bag also.

I made these very basic and purposely did not decorate them because I really could not decide which design I wanted to use and wanted to get these directions out to you all as soon as possible. But here are some ideas I am toying with: crocheted hearts that would be put on before the bag was sewn together or butterflies or stars or just big circles. These are machine washable, but I would not put the bags in the dryer as, if you have a hot dryer, the bags could melt. These also would make a wonderful and unique baby shower gifts.

Time to complete:

• pad: two episodes of CSI (2 hours)
  • bags : about the same

Materials:

• I used leftover yarn from the baby afghans I was making for my new granddaughter Reagan. I think that these three pieces could be made from one Super Saver skein of each color with yarn left over to make booties or little hats.
  • one G hook
  • 1 pint and 1 quart size Ziploc bag
  • white sewing needle and white thread

Diaper Changing Pad:

With Main Color: Ch 52 in third chain from hook DC in each stitch across. Turn. 50 DC. Ch 2 and DC in each stitch across. Continue in pattern for another 26 rows, making 27 rows total. Fasten off and work in ends.

With Contrasting Color: Ch 52 in third chain from hook Dc in each stitch across. Turn. 50 DC. Ch 2 and Dc in each stitch across. Continue in pattern for another 26 rows, making 27 rows total. Fasten off and work in ends.

With Contrasting Color and holding both pieces together, slip stitch both pieces together. Fasten off and work in ends.

Ties:

With contrasting color: Make 2 Chain 52. Fasten off and work in ends. Holding piece in front of you with inside facing; pull tie through the slip knot edge 4 and a half inches from each end until you have the tie half way through. Now tie and knot ties in place. You want to tie this so that you have two ties per like a sleeping bag. Roll up and tie.

Large Bag:

Make two. With Main color: Chain 44 and DC in third chain from hook. 42 DC. Chain 2 turn. DC in each stitch across. Continue in pattern for 22 rows, 23 rows total. Fasten off and work in ends.

With contrasting color: slip stitch pieces together. Fasten off and work in ends.

Slide quart size Ziploc bag inside of crocheted sleeve. With white thread and sharp needle, tack the bottom to corners. Once you have them secure, tack again on each side right under the Ziploc track and in the center of the front and back. You will do the front and back with the bag open so you don't sew it shut.

Small Bag

Make two. With Main color: Chain 29. In third chain from hook DC and in each stitch across. Chain 2 turn. DC in each stitch across Ch 2 turn. Continue in pattern for 15 rows for a total of 17 rows. Fasten off and work in ends.

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 7 grandsons. She is a published author and poetress. Born in California, she now lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and many pets. Her hobbies include crocheting, reading, arts and crafts and bargain hunting.

Another wonderful and useful crocheting project. Thanks for sharing this!

Love the idea of lining the items with plastic ziplock bags. Heavy Duty Freezer Bags may last a bit longer. I also like the idea that they are sewn in with a bit of tacking. When the plastic bag wears out, just carefully snip the tacking stitches and replace with a new bag.

Baby laying on a white crochet changing pad.
Making a Crochet Changing Pad
Crafts Baby ItemsMay 17, 2007
Baby with Diaper Rash Getting Changed
Diaper Rash Remedies
baby at photo shoot
Making a 1st Birthday Hat and Diaper Cover
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
🎉
🎄