Converting a Baby Stroller Into a Pet Stroller

You can save money by converting a baby stroller that your child has outgrown, or one from a yard sale into a pet stroller. This is a guide about converting a baby stroller into a pet stroller.

May 5, 2014 Flag

One possible idea is to remove all the fabric from an old twin baby buggy, except for the canopy (hood). Leave that in place for rain protection. I'm now examining the stripped-down chassis to see what can be done. I'm considering attaching a 'hammock' of very strong material such as canvas (like those hammocks that one attaches across the back seat of a car to protect it from dog fur and/or wet paws), from the handle of the chassis to the metal bar at the footrest.

The canvas can be punched through with several strong metal grommets along the top, bottom, and sides. Then strong nylon rope can be fed through the eyes and the hammock can be securely attached with hooks to all four sides of the metal framework of the chassis, obviously in areas where the hooks don't slide down the metal tubing of the framework. The hammock shouldn't be too taut because it should 'belly' down enough to support a sturdy dog-carrier. Nylon rope with hooks attached can be threaded through the grommets and then attach a dog-carrier to sit securely on the hammock. I have started this process. I've stripped my twin baby buggy down to the chassis and hood, now I'm at the stage of trying to select one of my large pet carriers.

Safety is paramount with a home-made pet buggy. Depending on the shape of the chassis (if the metal frame has one or two horizontal crossbars in the right positions to support the weight of a pet-carrier), a possible option would be to "securely" and "safely" attach a strong, commercial pet-carrier directly to the stripped down chassis. I don't think the shape of the metal frame of the chassis I'm using lends itself to attaching a pet-carrier directly to the framework, so I'm probably going to have buy a piece of strong canvas that fits, but overlaps the framework. I will then glue down all the edges to get a tidy look, and buy one of those gadgets that can punch holes through canvas while simultaneously inserting metal grommets into the holes. Then I'm going to attach the canvas to the chassis and the carrier to the canvas.

In theory, this should work, and I should end up with a pet-carrier attached to a strong canvas on the very strong framework of a used baby buggy. It's worth a try because any pet buggy that has a chassis as strong as a baby's buggy would cost a fortune.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

August 7, 2005 Flag

I have been looking at the new pet strollers. They are all so expensive. I think I may try to convert a baby stroller. All I have to do is figure out how to enclose it so my cat doesn't get out. I can buy a baby stroller used at the childrens' consignment shop for about $25.00. I have spent hours searching the internet and I cannot believe that I can't find any information on this.

Has anyone else done something like this so you could take your cat for a walk?

Thanks.
Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try one of the umbrella-style children's strollers (I bought one a couple of years ago at a yard sale for $5...and KMart sells them new for $12 or so) and combine it with one of the soft pet carriers that have recently been showing up at discount stores (saw some the other day at Big Lots, for approx $12-$14). Remove the fabric seat from the stroller and somehow affix the pet carrier to the stoller frame. Plastic cable ties would probably work, if there are some type of attachment points already affixed to the sides of the pet carrier. Good luck. Training your cat to walk on a leash might also be a viable alternative.

Best Answer

I just made a dog stroller yesterday! I got a Graco stroller for $20 from Craigslist and it came with the car seat. I laid the stroller down as flat as it would go, then wrapped some inch thick styrofoam with the fabric I took from the car seat. I just duct taped it on the backside to hold it in place and put it in the stroller bed to make the bottom level. Then I added a thin dog bed, just to make it more comfortable for my geriatric Boston. This particular stroller had a piece folded down on the seat area, that when I popped it up, provided a front for the stroller, effectively blocking the child foot area. I looped an old halter around the snack tray and attached a tether so my dog won't jump out, and I bought a yard of "sport mesh" fabric which I velcro'd to the hood of the stroller. It hangs down like a curtain, the dog can still see out but it acts as a deterrent to jumping out and as my family put it, others won't think I have an incredibly hairy child. I can also roll it up and clip it with a chip clip when I don't want it down. We went for a walk yesterday and he loved it. This is a dog who rode on a golf cart on our farm for the first 5 years of his life, so he had no fear of this new ride. My other Boston, though, will take some time to get used to staying away from the wheels as he walks alongside.

You could possibly take netting and velcro it around the sides of the stroller to keep kitty inside, although it's beyond me why someone would want to push their pet around in a stroller.

My cat used to enjoy going for rides in my daughter's doll carriage, in the family room. He also wanted to go for rides in the wheelbarrow outside, when she was a teen. The utmost care was taken.

A cat could ride in a stroller without netting, etc., if the cat is harnessed and a short leash is attached to the stroller handle and harness, care being taken for the cat's safety.

People that need to take their cat to the vet's and do not have transportation, can do so quite easily with a stroller.

I used to put my cat on a leash and try and take him for a walk. He used to walk part of the way, all over the place and never in a straight line. Then, he would get tired of it and lay down and refuse to get up. He got carried the rest of the walk :)

My wife and I run a small pet boutique and have a site that specializes in pet strollers. Thought I'd comment on a couple of things about pet strollers based on a lot of experience:

<UL>

<LI>Lots of people are asking why use a pet stroller. Many of our customers don't feel comfortable walking a cat or have a cat that refuses to use a harness and leash. There are dozens of other reasons.

We tested the $29.95 model that someone referred to at LTD commodities and decided not to carry it. We won't offer a stroller in which we wouldn't trust our own pets.

Some of our customers have had mixed results with trying a baby stroller. Some customers have tried using an open baby stroller while keeping their cat on a leash but have found they need to keep things out (such as aggressive dogs) as much they need to keep their cat in. So, netting around the stroller is recommended. Also, be sure to create a comfortable area for your pet to sit or lay using a blanket or pillow. A blanket also helps so your pet can burrow underneath it in the event he or she wants some private time.

Karen,

You can find a pet stroller at www.abcdistributing.com for $29.95 plus tax / shipping / handling...comes out to about $40 more or less.

I was browsing the Costco website for something else & came across this:

http://www.cost  &hierPath=89

and remembered seeing your post. Costco usually has more in their store than on the website, so I imagine they sell the bench separately in store, probably no more than $20-25 I would guess. You could line the bottom with a soft blanket, and attach a longer push handle. Could also double as a car carrier if you have a van.

I have been trying to figure this out myself.If you find a used stroller or buy one the key is to make sure it reclines so that the bottom is straight,coz some only recline half way.Then you can cover the part where the childs feet would go ,up to the front cup holder tray with material,even fun designed ones, and wrap it around the front and attach it to the sides.Then you can add mesh to the top visor and pull it down over the tray part.If you add velcro to the bottom of the stroller you can put the pet in like a baby then put the mesh over the top pulling it tight over the front and side and velcroing it on the bottom.The inside you can pad with a small bed or go to the craft store and buy cushion and cover it.

Has anyone else tried to do this? Converting baby stroller to a pet stroller? I am attempting to do this. I am going to buy a stroller that reclines all the way and try to accomplish this. For $25 used baby stroller, it comes with great suspension on the wheels unlike the dog stroller that you can buy for $100 isn't even great quality.

March 27, 2010 Flag

When I take my 2 Poms for a walk, our 8 year old Pom boy gets tired quicker. I am 68 and not it's not easy to pick him up and carry him the rest of the way. Any ideas? Wagon. Pet stroller. Used child's stroller? I can't spend much so I would like a good, economical idea.

By Sharon from Lima, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A used umbrella type child's stroller would be ideal for your little boy. You should be able to get one cheap at a yard or garage sale. Good luck

The umbrella stroller is a good idea. You can strap him in using a dog harness through the baby straps. I am 60 and find that a wagon, with the pulling motion, hurts my shoulder, but a stroller is easy to push. And, if you can't find a used one, most stores sell them for under $20.00. Ask people in your neighborhood if they have one. Most people with 3 or 4 year old kids still have their umbrella strollers, but don't use them any more.

I have two Poms also, and if I were you I would look at yard sales, consignment shops, used baby clothing/furniture stores, Good Will, etc... though I myself had no luck finding one anywhere I looked!

When I could not find a used stroller or anything else suitable (After a few weeks of hard searching), I finally ended up buying one from Drs Foster and Smith about 5 years ago, before they caught on and became expensive. I only paid around 35.00 for mine and now they are 100 or more.

http://www.drsf  cfm?pcatid=12195

And yes, People laughed at me, but I will tell you it was ONE of the BEST investments I have made for my dogs, and considering that against the cost, it soon became a "Thrifty" purchase!!

1) I was able to easily and quickly transport them from my car to the hotel room when I had to evacuate during a hurricane.

2) I am able to go on walks and enjoy myself without worrying about the health of my senior dog, who was turning my walks into "Drags", literally! lol

3) I was able to go on vacation two years ago to a 5-star hotel, and not make a spectacle of myself herding them through the lobby on tangled leashes.

4) I have saved my back a multitude of troubles!

Pets AdviceMarch 30, 2013
Woman with Baby in Stroller
Keeping a Baby Stroller Clean
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
A blue baby stroller.
Saving Money on Baby Strollers
Choosing a Stroller
Tips on Choosing a Stroller
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:31:06 AM on 10.0.2.167 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.