My First Recipe: Creamed Tuna On Toast

My first recipe, at least for dinner, was fixing Creamed Tuna on Toast for my little sisters. You take 2 Tbsp. butter, melt it in a skillet then add 2 Tbsp. flour. When it is all mixed into a paste, add milk, a little at a time and stir.

When it is a sauce, add one can of tuna (drained) and one can of peas (drained.) Serve it on toast. We had this most times when my mom couldn't be home to cook dinner until I learned to cook other things.

Susan from ThriftyFun

HOW WELL I REMEMBER THIS ONE. STILL A KEEPER IN MY BOOK

I found another recipe online which I altered a bit and made yesterday. My husband and I were eatings seconds!

TUNA CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS

* 1 package of medium size shell noodles (or 2 cups of cooked rice, that's what I used)

* 2 small cans or 1 large can of tuna

* 1 block of cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you prefer)

* 1 small bag or can of peas (or mixed frozen veggies cooked)

* 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese

* 2 cups of milk

* 2 to 4 tablespoons corn starch

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine

*optional: 2 tablespoons of cooking sherry to the white sauce after the cheese melts

SERVES 3

1)Drain tuna. Grate cheese. If using noodles, boil noodles until al dente; drain.

2)To make the white sauce, melt butter; add 2 tablespoons of corn starch and a little bit of milk. Stir constantly until it thickens.

Keep adding milk as it thickens alternating with corn starch if needed Stir until thick and creamy. Add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and a handful of cheddar, after melting add sherry/cooking if you like. Mix noodles, peas, tuna, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese and the white sauce together. Put in a casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes or until brown on top.

Had it often as child and still like it.

I have that recipe also, my husband's mother use to make it and gave me the recipe. Made an inexpensive meal when hubby was in college and also when our 7 kids were growing up.

I come from an Italian family so I never heard of cream tuna on toast UNTIL I married my husband in his family it was a staple. At first my kids balked at the thought of trying it but things were tight at the time so they had no choice but I had to eat it too. I must admit I silently balked myself but my husband said to use frozen peas with a little sugar boiled with them and it worked. To my surprise it was good! My kids still balked but seeing me eat they tried. Now its a family memory, they are all grown now but I still have them for dinner and make cream tuna on toast.

Thanks for the memory My folks used to make this many years ago They also made chipped beef on toast.

Thank you for the memories. My mom fixed this for me and my siblings during Lent on Friday's when we couldn't eat meat. I think I will serve it to my children and grandchildren now!