Mysterious Skunk Smell - Categories:

Small WildlifePest Control

Mysterious Skunk Smell

We've been dealing with a mysterious skunk smell that hits our house sporadically but frequently. We live in the country and have never seen a skunk here although they are surely around. Our dog has never been sprayed. We can't find any sign of a skunk living under a closed in porch or in the basement. Never the less, since last winter skunk smell has been very storing at times. We've tried outside have-a heart traps and tons of mothballs under the porch- just in case- . Does anyone have any suggestions? How long can a skunk smell linger and why would it be so erratic? I feel desperate heading into another winter! Thanks for any advise.

Ecila from Concord, NH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

No idea how to remove it. I am curious if you notice it more when it has just rained or weather is damp. Years ago, a friend had a car that smelled every time it got wet from hitting a skunk. My father said it was the moisture that brought out the odor.

I would check the attic, chimminey, furnace and I have heard of them getting into walls and eves.

Good luck.

I had a similar experience. It turned out that one of my "roommates" was bringing in marijuana that smelled like a skunk. It was very strong as he had brought home the bud. It does not have to be smoked to give off the odor.

If you have any teenagers a little hunt might be in order.

I hope that's not what it is, but it is possible.

Good Luck!

We had a skunk spray under our deck one year and as I recall it took some time for the smell to go away completely. Several months it seems. Also, was much, much worse in the heat of the day. Good luck!

Are you sure it is skunk? We have problems sometimes with dead mice in our walls and the smell is awful.

I must add though, I am the only one who can smell it. It drives me crazy. I have been blessed or cursed with a keen sense of smell.

I had that problem once when I was living in a mobile home. The unwelcome guest was a possum under my unit. He gave off an odor similar to a skunk, but not as strong. A live trap set near where I fed the dog caught him and I disposed of him at a woods a few miles from home.

Just take a can of cat food. Stick it in a cage outside by your home. Then wait at night for your little skunk friend to come around. they just love cat food. Also you can catch it this way. BTW, They dont stink unless they spray. The other thing something could of died in your wall in your home. That can give off a really bad smell too.

BTW, My father has had skunks living around his home for years. and they tend to like to eat all my dads cats food. LOL! They wont spray unless they are scared. and they alway give warning first by raising their little behinds. And if your dog hasnt been sprayed by the one by your house. It could be a skunk used to dogs.Since skunks are smart like cats. and they become friends with other animals easily. That could be the reason why your dog hasnt been sprayed yet. The other reason it could be a spit cat instead of a skunk. they tend to smell all the time those little fury guys.

I didn't know it was skunk smell until my husband said so. It's in our garage. I've been looking at several websites to find the solution to deodorize. I'm even scared to look for one in the garage, we had left the garage open for couple of hours during the day for ventilation. I'm worried it may be there somewhere and spray me if I go. Pls help.

Mothballs can be toxic to your health as well as your pets. Get rid of them. Their smell is worse than a skunk to get rid of. Skunk smell is an organic issue, not a chemical one, such as mothballs.

You can be down wind from a skunk spray and it lands where allergy/mold spores, dust, etc. Simply keep AC on, whether window or full house AC. If you have filters on these, dab some vanilla on them or get something from the hardware store/farm-home store for helping you. Don't make the cover smell worse than the original smell.

Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeSeptember 25, 2007
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:46:03 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 859 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.