Using Composite Wood Decking

Has anyone used composite wood decking to build a new deck or re-surface an existing deck? It is much pricier than regular wood, but supposedly lasts forever, no maintenance, and adds value to the home. We were wanting to get some opinions from those who have it.

By tcmoyer from Westerville, OH

My husband and I have two decks built using Choice Deck.

They were built last year and are working very well. They have a wood grain which has caught some dirt and mildew. It is a surface issue which will surely wash right off. In the bright sun, it does get warm but not bad. The boards do not change shape or sag. We are very happy with them.

I used the hollow composite decking, wishing I had gotten or known about the solid because I didnt like the looks of the edges. It was a light brown and has weather to a grayish, which I love. It matches the house. BUT, update, I found that they make a cap to put on the ends so you cant see the hollow insides. Looks really nice now!

We are having the same problem. Our old deck is about 30+ years old. We figure if we could get half that time out of a new deck, it would be great. We, most likely, will be living somewhere else in a few years. Also, I believe in renewable products, we live at the beach & many of the houses have the new plastic (whatever) siding on them. I am curious to see how welll they hold up. Give me cedar shingles anytime.

We replaced our wooden deck that had become splintery and overall unattractive one year ago. We used home depot's version of trek manmade wood. It is so nice not to worry about restaining it. We used this material based on a friend who had a back porch made from it for many years. It looks the same as our new one. I guess the only negative was the cost, but I'm sure the investment will pay off since the repainting or staining is eliminated, also we have had to replace the wooden deck twice we lived here.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Outdoor StructuresJune 7, 2009
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Chopping Wood, Axe in Wood Log
Chopping Wood
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
🎄
🍂