Mammoth Sunflower Leaves Turning Yellow

I have planted mammoth sunflowers in a large pot and I'm having a problem with the lower leaves first turning yellow, then brown before finally dieing off. Am I over watering or what?

Dave from Baltimore, MD

Hi, i had the same problem and the problem was that the plant had an huge root system and was pot-bound, and that caused my plant to die. When i removed it from the pot there was virtually no soil left it was all roots, i threw away the whole thing...

Sunflowers need space, next year i'm planting dwarf variety in pots, mamoth are really more for gardens... I hope this helps....

Hi there, mine do that too. Happens every year. It doesn't bother me. Once they get really gross looking, I trim them off. The sunflowers don't seem to mind at all! Hope that makes you feel a bit better :)

Home and Garden Gardening Plant HealthJuly 31, 2008
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Potted Plants
Leaves on Potted Plants Turning Yellow
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Cucumber Blooms
Cucumbers Turning Yellow