Choosing Paint for Living Room Walls

What is the best type of paint to use on my living room walls? Do I use latex or enamel? What is the difference? And should I use flat or semi gloss?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Most people choose flat, but if I was painting I would check and see what types of finishes are available in paint. I would stick with latex.

Always use semi gloss even on the ceilings! This is because the "light" reflects making it look so much brighter and you can always wash them easily! Enamel is extremely messy and smelly; difficult to work with; stick with semi gloss for all things, including ceilings! you will be amazed at what a difference it makes! Plus it's super easy to clean up; if you are still painting, and going to finish the next day; wrap your brushes, or rollers in plastic well; stick in the freezer; and they will be good to go in a little bit the next day! (Can you tell I have done this a time or two?)

Good luck!

I would not use semigloss on the ceiling, as it will show any cracks and you want the attention to be on the walls. Semigloss is usually used in bathrooms. For a living room I would go one sheen down and use a pearl or eggshell--easy to wash, but has more depth than flat.

Thank you Allison. I will go with the egg shell on the walls. My ceilings don't need it right now but when they do they certaiinly won't be done in semi gloss!

Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingMarch 15, 2011
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Furniture in a Living Room
Arranging Furniture in a Living Room
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
🎉
🎄