Birds & Bird HousesGardening

Feeding Yellow Finches

I purchased a new finch feeder and fresh new nyger seed. I have fed the finches for numerous years with no problem. Now they don't come to the feeder. I see them drinking from the bird bath and sitting in the trees, but they don't feed. What's wrong? I even moved the feeder near a tree. It never was near a tree before.

By Joyce

There could be a couple of things going on:

1.) Check the freshness of the seed (if it has even a little mold in it, they will avoid the feeder).

2.) When was the last time you cleaned the feeder?

3.) Have any predators been about? hawks, racoons, even grey squirrels can worry them enough to go elsewhere.

4.) Don't forget: once you start feeding them, stick with it. Finches are habitual feeders. Once they find a food source they like to go back again and again.

Good luck and enjoy!

When I first started feeding the finches, they flocked here. Then I bought a DIFFERENT type of "sock" that was more NET. They have ALWAYS avoided that feeder! They will eat out of tube feeders but they will NOT eat out of the "net" sock! I think that it has to do with their "feet" getting caught in the netting.