Lawn MowersMachines

Poulan Pro Push Mower Won't Start

I have a Poulan Pro Push Mower. I tried to get it to start and it wouldn't. I checked the spark plug and it was bad so I changed it. I filled it up with gas and it has oil. What else could make it not start?

James from Portageville, MO

Sounds like the problem I had. my son-in-law replaced the magneto. Apparently they have modified it 4 times since I bought it 2 years ago. It has a tecumseh motor.

Some ideas of things to check (from my husband)-is the plug getting fire to it and is fuel getting to the cylinder. Also, check to see if the air filter is clogged. If no fire to plug could be a bad magneto, no fuel could indicate carburetor problem.

Try a shot of carburetor cleaner in the air filter, then try to start it immediatley

Anonymous

Lawn mower has no spark. Tip given was to check the points and replace the coil. My lawn mower does not have Points or Coils.

Just thought you may like to know.

Hi, to narrow down the problem, spray a shot of starting fluid in the carb and try to start then. If it starts and dies or engine tries to fire, you have a fuel problem. If it does not fire, you have a electrical problem. Try this and go from there. This at least lets you know which way to troubleshoot. Hope this is useful.

You could either have a clogged air filter, or a no ground on your dead man switch.

In order for an engine to fire, you need three things: G.A.S. Gas, Air, Spark

I know it's an old post, but if i just found it, maybe this will help someone. My problem was the fuel I left in the gas tank the whole winter got bad. I followed a youtube video and took a part the main components to clean out: top lid, fuel tank, and carb. Opened up carb easily. Sprayed everthing with brake cleaner, reassembled, poured in fresh gasoline and it worked after a few pulls. Took about 30 minutes. Only tricky part was the carb linkage wire. Just gently bend the wire hook out of the hole with a plier before removing carb.

do you happen to have a link to the youtube video