Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Acrylic Nails

For 1 year, my fake nail has been over my own nail. The doctor said it will grow out, but it has been a year. It is nasty looking. My friend said go to another doctor and see about having my finger numbed around the area and cut cuticle and separate the fake nail and my own nail. The fake nail seems to be under cuticle. Help.

By Pam from Hamilton, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cdoss [10]08/16/2010

Is it acrylic? If so, you just soak it in acetone nail polish remover and it will disolve. If it's not acrylic, please post more detail. Also, I can't understand how an artificail nail could still be under the cuticle after a year. When I had acrylic nails, I had to go get them filled in every 2 weeks because they would grow out.

By Lilac [18]08/13/2010

Go to the nail place and let them soak your nail in acetone. The nail will come off. They do it every day.

By anne [10]08/13/2010

You better go to a different doctor!

By Keeper [57]08/12/2010

Pam, I had acrylic nails for a few years and was fortunate that no damage was done to my real nails. It takes awhile and patience but you soak and soak and soak some more in acetone. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Acrylic Nails

I would like to know what the best form is for taking off acrylic nails without causing any rips to my already grown nails.

Archive: Removing Acrylic Nails

I am looking for tips for how to remove acrylic nails.

Archive: Removing Acrylic Nails

I got nails about two weeks ago. They are not the whole fake nail, they are acrylic pink and whites and were put on with a paint of some sorts? Well, I want them off NOW but I am worried as to how to remove them hopefully virtually painless.

I have heard use acetone, but also I heard that can be damaging to your skin and potentially burn you. What is the most effective and painless way to remove this type of nail? HELP!

Megan from Lansing, MI

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

My 12 yr old daugter did this and she plastered the glue stuff to it, Geeze she came to me bauling her eyes out, They hurt and she wanted them off, I had no clue how to remove them, Did a search and tried several things, but nothing worked, till finally I tried this and It worked!

Take a Cotton ball, Soak it in nail polish remover, Wrap the finger with it , then cover in tin foil, use your hair blower back and forth to heat it, do this anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 mins per nail. quickly remove the cotton ball and gentle lift the fake nail, Some nails required a second try, But it worked very easily, Can you believe a week after all this and she did it again! KIDS anyways, I got the things and threw them out after that. (03/20/2008)

By Chicklet

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

Unfortunately, I found it was rather easy to get acrylics off, as long you apply some physics. Split the nail down the center, then push up against the sag curve. The nail will pop off easy as 1-2-3! (03/20/2008)

By Jessie.

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

Did you have them put on professionally? I just wanted to ad that I'm not sure how to go about removing them, but... when they put them on they actually file your real nail. Needless to say (damaging them) so if you remove the nail it will be damaged to some degree. I would suggest just to cut them down and try to let them grow out. Just a thought. Ive had them done before and when ever they pop off your real nail is really weak and scratched up. Good luck. (03/20/2008)

By Linda

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I tried this once a while back, thought I wanted fake nails, bought them, put them on, husband hated them. So I just took a small bowl big enough to put my fingers in poured some fingernail polish enough to cover my fingers and put my four fingers in . All at the same time now mind you, waited a couple of minutes and there they went. Yes I could not wear the nails again, but then I didn't want to. (03/21/2008)

By

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

It really depends on if you got them professionally done. The thing is that "popping them off" damages the skin more than acetone essentially will. I am a licensed nail tech and the best think i can say is either get them professionally removed at a salon, or soak in polish remover and gently buff off. Be sure not to over buff. (03/21/2008)

By Adriana

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I (b)hate(/b) acrylic nails. :) They are the most annoyingest things to put on and take off. They always get gunk & such stuck in them & are very annoying when working especially when you are typing. In fact i have them on right this minute and can not wait till tomorrow where i will be going back to the salon to get them removed. Good Bye and Good Riddence! (03/25/2008)

By Shelia

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I am a professional nail artist. Please go and get them taken off professionally. If you can pry them off, or pop them off you have had a dodgy job done, believe me I am forever fixing their work!

A GOOD artist will buff your natural nail minimally to adhere to acrylic, only way it will stay on. GOOD acrylic nails will RARELY lift. I can't emphasize this enough.

Anyone that hates these nails has had a BAD JOB done.It really irritates me! I live in Australia and we have no regulations, ANYONE can call themselves a nail artist. Now that is extremely DANGEROUS.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY essential you find a good professional. HOW? Look at everyones nails you know, if their is any lifting, even if they insist their nail girl is good, smile and DON'T GO THERE! (03/26/2008)

By bellamarie

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

Do not go to any old nail place to get them taken off. When they rip them off with nippers they are ripping thousands of layers of the nail bed off causing permanent damage and potential loss of the whole nail. Soaking them in acetone is not the best for your cuticles but I have done it before and it is better than ripping them off or having a nail tech rip them off. (03/26/2008)

By Beth

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

Get them SOAKED off by a professional! If she gets her clippers out before she soaks, WALK OUT! (03/30/2008)

By bellamarie

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I went to a pro to take my nails off because ever since I can remember I would bite them off. All they do is put acetone in a small glass bowl and put it on candle warmer while your nails soak for about 45mins - 1 hr. Then they dissolve by themselves and then they just buff it out and put a clear coat of polish. Not hard at all anyone can do it! (04/09/2008)

By D

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I've tried everything! It hurts so bad to try and get them off. Never will I get these things done ever again! =[[ (04/21/2008)

By R0BiN

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I just got fake nails for my first time and they need to come off really bad but I don't want it to hurt and I don't want to go to the salon HELP (04/22/2008)

By Olivia

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

OMG I hate them. I just got done pulling all of them off. :{ It hurt like a @#$%. Don't get them pulled off by anyone but yourself. (04/24/2008)

By noughtynightmair

RE: Removing Acrylic Nails

I'm taking off acrylics right this second. IT HURTS SO BAD, but I also don't want to walk around with shabby looking nails and I don't want to pay for a fill-in when I can just take them off and get new dependable ones. I haven't tried the acetone thing yet, but I have heard of people who has and they burnt themselves. I don't want to be another victim to a acetone burn, so what do I do? I also don't want to invest anymore money in them to get them professionally removed. PLEASE HELP!(04/29/2008)

By Pr0bl3m ch1ld!

Archive: Removing Acrylic Nails

How do I remove acrylic nails?

Archive: Removing Acrylic Nails

How do I remove acrylic nails so I can have gel nails done?