Removing Acrylic Nails

For 1 year, my fake nail has been over my own nail. The doctor said it will grow out, but it has been a year. It is nasty looking. My friend said go to another doctor and see about having my finger numbed around the area and cut cuticle and separate the fake nail and my own nail. The fake nail seems to be under cuticle. Help.

By Pam from Hamilton, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Pam, I had acrylic nails for a few years and was fortunate that no damage was done to my real nails. It takes awhile and patience but you soak and soak and soak some more in acetone. Good luck.

You better go to a different doctor!

Go to the nail place and let them soak your nail in acetone. The nail will come off. They do it every day.

Is it acrylic? If so, you just soak it in acetone nail polish remover and it will disolve. If it's not acrylic, please post more detail. Also, I can't understand how an artificail nail could still be under the cuticle after a year. When I had acrylic nails, I had to go get them filled in every 2 weeks because they would grow out.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

August 11, 2010 Flag

It's easy to soak finger tips in a bowl of acetone to remove artificial nails, but how do you do toenails? I don't want to soak my whole foot in the stuff.

By Sharon from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

FYI: you want to avoid acrylic nails on toes, you will run a very high risk of nail fungus and it is very difficult to cure, the meds for it can cause liver damage and don't always take care of it. (05/24/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Acrylic Nails

I just had an idea do not know if it will work or not. Seems like it will. I would soak some cotton balls in nail polish remover until nice and wet. Then I would put one on each toe and wrap aound with medical tape. I am not sure, but seems like that would work with out having to soak in a tub of it. I would wear sandals or something like that to catch any run off of the polish remover. Let me know if this works. (05/25/2010)

By cutepachef

Removing Acrylic Nails

Apply petroleum jelly or Alba brand Un-Petroleum Jelly (if you're sensitive to petroleum based products like I am) to the skin on your toes and around the nail bed to prevent your skin from absorbing the acetone. Try soaking a cotton ball in acetone and using a strip of aluminum foil to hold it in place for 15-20 minutes. Once you take the cotton ball off, the acrylic will immediately start to harden, so gently remove the acrylic from one nail at a time, starting with one of your pinky toes. This gives the acetone a bit more time to work on your bigger toes.

If you do have issues with fungus on your toenails, rub a drop of pure sandalwood oil (it can be a bit spendy for the unadulterated stuff) to each affected nail twice a day until the nail color is normal. This can take a few months to work. This is a safe anti-fungal that does not have the negative effects on your liver that the drugs your doctor can prescribe do. (07/06/2010)

By LKay8

May 22, 2010 Flag

How do you remove acrylic nails?

By Ruthcarelli from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Professionally done takes longer, but you soak them in acetone. Be patient and I hope your real nails are not ruined. I got lucky and mine weren't damaged. (06/18/2009)

By keeper60

Removing Acrylic Nails

Soak them in acetone. When I have removed mine in the past, I have rubbed them while in the acetone. I am not sure if it sped up the process, but it kept me from going crazy! (06/22/2009)

By jahummell

Removing Acrylic Nails

I am a former Nail Tech and a District Manager for Sally Beauty Co. I can say without hesitation that the Nail Tek equivalent at Sally Beauty is virtually identical. I also recommend a product called "Gelous" for maintenance and strength once your nails are on the mend. And always moisturize with oils and creams. Good luck. (12/02/2009)

By Sallygal

June 18, 2009 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails from my big toes? They were attached to my skin (because I previously lost the toenails).

By Thuyb1

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Hi,
You need to soak your toe(s) in nail polish remover. You need to warm it up to activate it, please be careful when doing this, especially in the microwave. It is very flammable! Let it soak, it should start to become gel like, and work it off with a file and clippers. Best of luck! Crystal NC (04/16/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

Removing Acrylic Nails

Yikes! If you've glued it to your skin, try soaking your toe in nail polish remover. It may take a long time soaking, don't pull it off! And don't soak if your toe is not completely healed. (04/16/2009)

By ivorylov

April 14, 2009 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails so I can have gel nails done?

December 16, 2008 Flag

How do I remove acrylic nails?

October 15, 2008 Flag

How do I remove fake nails?

May 5, 2008 Flag

I got nails about two weeks ago. They are not the whole fake nail, they are acrylic pink and whites and were put on with a paint of some sorts?

March 20, 2008 Flag

I am looking for tips for how to remove acrylic nails.

July 1, 2007 Flag

I would like to know what the best form is for taking off acrylic nails without causing any rips to my already grown nails.

Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsAugust 11, 2010
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
acrylic paint
Painting With Acrylic Paint on Plastic
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 9:05:57 AM on 10.0.1.37 in 390 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.