Removing Acrylic Nails

For 1 year, my fake nail has been over my own nail. The doctor said it will grow out, but it has been a year. It is nasty looking. My friend said go to another doctor and see about having my finger numbed around the area and cut cuticle and separate the fake nail and my own nail. The fake nail seems to be under cuticle. Help.

By Pam from Hamilton, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Pam, I had acrylic nails for a few years and was fortunate that no damage was done to my real nails. It takes awhile and patience but you soak and soak and soak some more in acetone. Good luck.

You better go to a different doctor!

Go to the nail place and let them soak your nail in acetone. The nail will come off. They do it every day.

Is it acrylic? If so, you just soak it in acetone nail polish remover and it will disolve. If it's not acrylic, please post more detail. Also, I can't understand how an artificail nail could still be under the cuticle after a year. When I had acrylic nails, I had to go get them filled in every 2 weeks because they would grow out.

Answer

It's easy to soak finger tips in a bowl of acetone to remove artificial nails, but how do you do toenails? I don't want to soak my whole foot in the stuff.

By Sharon from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

FYI: you want to avoid acrylic nails on toes, you will run a very high risk of nail fungus and it is very difficult to cure, the meds for it can cause liver damage and don't always take care of it. (05/24/2010)

By yoder178

Removing Acrylic Nails

I just had an idea do not know if it will work or not. Seems like it will. I would soak some cotton balls in nail polish remover until nice and wet. Then I would put one on each toe and wrap aound with medical tape. I am not sure, but seems like that would work with out having to soak in a tub of it. I would wear sandals or something like that to catch any run off of the polish remover. Let me know if this works. (05/25/2010)

By cutepachef

Removing Acrylic Nails

Apply petroleum jelly or Alba brand Un-Petroleum Jelly (if you're sensitive to petroleum based products like I am) to the skin on your toes and around the nail bed to prevent your skin from absorbing the acetone. Try soaking a cotton ball in acetone and using a strip of aluminum foil to hold it in place for 15-20 minutes. Once you take the cotton ball off, the acrylic will immediately start to harden, so gently remove the acrylic from one nail at a time, starting with one of your pinky toes. This gives the acetone a bit more time to work on your bigger toes.

If you do have issues with fungus on your toenails, rub a drop of pure sandalwood oil (it can be a bit spendy for the unadulterated stuff) to each affected nail twice a day until the nail color is normal. This can take a few months to work. This is a safe anti-fungal that does not have the negative effects on your liver that the drugs your doctor can prescribe do. (07/06/2010)

By LKay8

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove acrylic nails?

By Ruthcarelli from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Professionally done takes longer, but you soak them in acetone. Be patient and I hope your real nails are not ruined. I got lucky and mine weren't damaged. (06/18/2009)

By keeper60

Removing Acrylic Nails

Soak them in acetone. When I have removed mine in the past, I have rubbed them while in the acetone. I am not sure if it sped up the process, but it kept me from going crazy! (06/22/2009)

By jahummell

Removing Acrylic Nails

I am a former Nail Tech and a District Manager for Sally Beauty Co. I can say without hesitation that the Nail Tek equivalent at Sally Beauty is virtually identical. I also recommend a product called "Gelous" for maintenance and strength once your nails are on the mend. And always moisturize with oils and creams. Good luck. (12/02/2009)

By Sallygal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove acrylic nails from my big toes? They were attached to my skin (because I previously lost the toenails).

By Thuyb1

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

Hi,
You need to soak your toe(s) in nail polish remover. You need to warm it up to activate it, please be careful when doing this, especially in the microwave. It is very flammable! Let it soak, it should start to become gel like, and work it off with a file and clippers. Best of luck! Crystal NC (04/16/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

Removing Acrylic Nails

Yikes! If you've glued it to your skin, try soaking your toe in nail polish remover. It may take a long time soaking, don't pull it off! And don't soak if your toe is not completely healed. (04/16/2009)

By ivorylov

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove acrylic nails so I can have gel nails done? I'm getting ready to do a Brisa nail tech course and would like to redo my own nails with the gel. I've been wearing professionally done acrylic nails for the last year or so. I've tried the acetone but it doesn't work very well with professional acrylic nails. I know the best thing to do is to go to a professional to have them removed but with Christmas around the corner, funds are tight. Much thanks for any help.

Kelly

Answers:

Removing Acrylic Nails

I've tried a million different at home remedies and only two of them have really worked so there's no pain involved. The best of the two have been acetone (nail polish remover, and even hand sanitizer).

1.Get a bottle of acetone (nail polish remover, hand sanitizer) or pure acetone and soak your fingers in it, it can take about 10-20 minutes. Just give the nails a little wiggle to see if they feel even the least bit loose or anything to that nature. Then when you feel that you can, ever so gently peel them off from the cuticle up, it may seem easier to pull from the top but then some pieces of the acrylic nail can be left and that can be complicated to remove. A little to no damage will be done in the process.

If you have a little more time than that then you can soak for about 20-30 minutes and the acrylic should turn into gel and you will have no problem or pain getting them off and there will only be the damage to the nail that was done when getting the nails put on.

The other method I found to be helpful is rubbing alcohol.

2. The only other things that you will need are cotton balls and tape. Put enough rubbing alcohol in a bowl so that you can put your fingers in it and put a cotton ball over the nail, tape it down and soak for 15-20 minutes. Then just give it a little tug, pull, and wiggle and you should have little to no pain doing this. This has seemed to also work like a charm.

NOTE: You should definitely file the top of the nail "lightly" and then lotion up, preferably coco butter but if not, anything else will do. Then apply a coat of a strengthening nail polish. This should fix up a big majority of the damage done when you got them done.

I promise this works, and I hope that I've helped! (12/04/2008)

By Lo<3

Removing Acrylic Nails

When I had mine removed they had me soaking in acetone for quite a while. This is the only way to get them off. They use 100% acetone. Hope this helps. Janette (12/19/2008)

By Ashleyb

Removing Acrylic Nails

I took the advise about the hand sanitizer, it worked wonders. I had my nails put on last week and I really found them to get in the way. So they weren't loose when I was taking them off. I put hand sanitizer on the nail and took a flat flexible piece of plastic and went under and got them off. I put pressure and eventually each one popped off.

It was extremely easy, a little painful but truly not so bad and it was very fast like around 15 minutes to get all 10 off. But for the flexible surface I suggest an old beaten up metro card it works very well. (12/22/2008)

By Ennie

Removing Acrylic Nails

I have a method I haven't seen mentioned here, but for me it works wonders. I simply get a pair of latex gloves and pour just a little acetone in them. Just enough so my fingers are immersed. I put on the gloves and put an elastic band at the rim to keep them in place.

In 20 minutes or so, the acrylic is soft enough to scrape off, and I use a cotton ball soaked in acetone to remove the stubborn bits. Then I soak my hand in mineral oil in another pair of gloves. When I do this I save time, because I can get stuff done, while I remove my nails, and treat them. Hope this helps.
(01/05/2009)

By Nicholle

Removing Acrylic Nails

I have found the best way in removing Acrylic Nails is to get a big bowl, fill it with warm water, and then get another bowl (a bit smaller than the larger bowl, but make sure your whole hand can fit in the smaller bowl). Then place the smaller bowl in the larger bowl and pour in your 100% pure acetone in the smaller bowl and add a couple drops of cuticle oil in with your acetone.

Then place your hands in the small bowl, get a warm towel and tightly wrap it over the bowl and your hands so that you are keeping the heat in at all times. Take out after 10-15 minutes. Then buff and replace back in. After about an hour all your nails should be free of acrylic.

I know this works because I have been a nail technician for the past 5 years now. (01/08/2009)

By Cara

Removing Acrylic Nails

I used the Kiss Remover. I started at 11pm and ended at 2:30am. It contains brush pad inside to soak and brush. I just soaked, but I was able to sit on bed and watch TV. Finally done and they look good! A thick layer - I will apply Strong Nails Now by Sally Hansen.(01/30/2009)

By Octavia in St. Louis

Removing Acrylic Nails

I know you just asked how to remove the acrylic nails but I wanted to give you a little advice anyway. You can soak them in acetone based nail polish remover and gently remove them with an orangewood stick. As far as getting gel nails, they aren't as durable. Quite frankly, I strongly suggest getting your own nails in good shape and going for weekly manicures at the salon. Not only will it save you a ton of $$$ but it is far classier, cleaner, and won't destroy your nails. I am a licensed Cosmetologist and artificial nails can seriously destroy your nails and harbor tons of nasty bacteria. Just a thought! (02/10/2009)

By Leigh

Removing Acrylic Nails

Start at the base where the fake nail starts to lift. Put in dental floss and floss under the nail as high as you can go without pain. Then, gently wedge a toothpick under the nail.

Put a few drops of acetone in the opening with an eyedropper (I rubbed some Vaseline around my nails to keep the acetone off my skin). Keep working the dental floss upward, and the nail will pop off. You might have to do this twice, depending upon how well the fake nail is adhered. I did notice that the more hand sanitizer I used at work, the looser the nails became (alcohol). It's so good to have my real nails back! (02/21/2009)

By Lisa

Removing Acrylic Nails

I am a nail tech for both Gel and Acrylic Nails.

The very easiest way for you to remover acrylic nails is to soak them in acetone. The only way this will work is if you do not have a gel overly. Gel does not soak off. A lot of techs use a gel product as a top coat as it is a stronger option then regular top coat. So, if you want to remove your nails without the help of a technician, you need to know if you have a gel top coat. Once you have removed your nails, they will be dry so you need to use a cuticle oil or a cream designed for nails. Regular cream will not penetrate the nail to moisturize properly enough. Then apply a nail strengthener free from DBP, Toluene, and Formaldehyde.

One thing to know is your natural nail should not be in bad shape after removal. A good nail tech can apply a set of nails and have them last without severely damaging your natural nail. When they file your natural nail prior to applying your enhancements, they should ONLY be buffing the shine off; not digging in or causing harm to the natural nail. This is one misconception many have about nail enhancements. Be sure to find out who is doing your nails, how long they have been doing them and that they are educated technicians. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. (03/10/2009)

By holland22

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove acrylic nails?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove fake nails?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got nails about two weeks ago. They are not the whole fake nail, they are acrylic pink and whites and were put on with a paint of some sorts?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for tips for how to remove acrylic nails.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to know what the best form is for taking off acrylic nails without causing any rips to my already grown nails.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsAugust 11, 2010
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
acrylic paint
Painting With Acrylic Paint on Plastic
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:12:23 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 629 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.