Freezing Dry Goods

I put all my new packages of flour and macaroni into the freezer or refrigerator and never worry about it going bad or buggy. All is fresh when I need it.

By ginny

what a great idea! WE have problems with buggies infesting our cupboards, and we've tried everything to get rid of them, took everything out and wiped everything down, put down bay leaves because we heard that helps keep them away, but we can't leave any unsealed dry goods out in the cupboard at all.

Please I am not being snooty,just frustrated. How does one find a Fridge big enough to hold everything,food & non food that is supposed to go in it? I have an 18 footer & all I have room for is food ,drinks& some Polaroid film.

I have read at the very least,that it's good to put in Film, Videotapes ,panty hose, grain products & cosmetics. Probably dvds,cds & cassetes too.

We'd need 4 maybe 5 fridges.

My grandmother used to do this, my Mother did it, and I do it. Really the only sure way to stop weevils from getting into anything.

Linne Dodds- larger refrigerators are out there. I have a 48 cubic foot refrigerator.

Never had problems in my old house but in this one I started finding bugs right away. I put all my pasta, flour, sugar, nuts, breadcrumbs all that kind of stuff in my freezer. I wiped down the pantry with vinegar added bay leaves and cotton balls with peppermint on them and haven't had a problem since. I too could never have room in my fridge I am lucky if I can fit what we need weekly in that but a freezer or maybe an extra fridge in the garage or basement would maybe help some of you.

I agree. I live in a one room apartment and have a full size freezer and refrigerator and could never store dry goods in there! I have stocked up on plastic bins with tight fitting lids as well as assorted sizes of glass jars. Everything from rice, pastas, flours, sugars, etc goes into a tub/glass jar. Never had a bug problem.

If you have a restaurant supplier near you, they have plenty of plastic tubs in assorted sizes. I suggest buying the square ones instead of round, as the squares waste less space on a shelf. If you have no such place, there are plenty of restaurant suppliers on line such as

You can also pick up assorted sizes of jars and plastic tubs at garage sales, thrift stores, etc.

Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 22, 2004
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Storing Dry Goods
Storing Dry Goods
Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
Freezing Artichokes
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants