Making Syrup from Dried Apricots

I would like to make some apricot syrup using dried apricots. Does anyone have a recipe?

By Anita from Montclair, NJ

Dried Apricots in Clove Syrup:

I discovered the delight of combining dried apricots and cloves at a breakfast at the Jeddah Conference Palace in Saudi Arabia. The apricots used in this recipe may be prepared a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 strip lemon peel

2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice

11 ounces dried apricots

1 teaspoon whole cloves, in a cheesecloth spice bag

1 stick cinnamon

To make syrup, combine sugar with 1/2 cup water, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to combine and cook until all sugar is dissolved. Once sugar is dissolved, stop stirring the syrup and add apricots, whole cloves, and cinnamon stick. Mix well and simmer 5 minutes, or until apricots become plump. Remove from heat and cool. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve at room temperature or cold.

Chef Suggestions:

You can strain the leftover apricots and serve them over plain yogurt for breakfast with a dash of cinnamon. Good luck.

I make jam from dried apricots. I would soak the cots a few days in a quart of water, well covered in fridge.

Run whole thing through blender to chop and simmer

for few hours, adding more water as needed. I think you would have even better results if you add one can of peaches as well. Check for sweetness and add sugar in 1/2 cup increments. When as soft as going to get, cool, then blend in small batches, then run through sieve. Save what didn't go through sieve for some other purpose in small jar, perhaps as glaze on pork roast or ham with a bit of apple juice or sherry or soy sauce added, or all of that if you like.

Thanks so much, both recipes sound interesting & tasty and I probably will try them both. Anita

Dried Fruit
Recipes Using Dried Fruit
Food and Recipes Recipes CondimentsDecember 16, 2009
Jar of preserved apricots.
Canning Apricots
Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
An apricot cut in half.
Peeling Apricots
Fresh Apricots
Storing Fresh Apricots