Labeling Your Leftovers

In order to make full use of the dibs and dabs of food you freeze for later use, it is vital that you label the container with what it is. This seems like the simplest advice in the world, but too often we don't do it; thinking we will remember what it is. But unfortunately if any time has lapsed at all, we don't.

Bottom line is that you can't put too much information on a label of a foodstuff you are freezing, particularly if it is a single ingredient. When you make this a habit, your budget and your sanity will appreciate your effort. By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

Yup, I mark items as they go in the freezer too. Make up my own TV dinners in plastic containers and label them. I also keep an inventory of what's in the freezer. When I add something, I list the date, what it is, how much it weighs or how many servings, and how many packages. For instance, if I buy a 10 pound boneless pork loin I may end up with 2 2-pound roasts, 6 2-serving packs of chops, and 2 1-pound packs of pieces for stir-fry. I'd write that on the inventory slip with the date, each type of item to it's own line. Then when I'm planning a meal, I'd check the inventory looking through the "oldest" first, reach in the freezer and pull out the marked package, and cross off what I took. I also check my inventory list before I go shopping so I don't buy what I don't need.

For fridged leftovers, I put them in a Tupperware type container, seal it, write the info on a piece of masking tape with a Sharpie marker and stick it on the side of the Tupperware.

If you stick the tape on the container before it is cold, it will stay. If you forget and try to stick the tape on after the container becomes cold, it won't adhere.

This is very good advice if you can remember to do it! I start out with very good intentions but then fall back to my old ways. I just don't freeze or even refrigerate dibs and dabs of stuff that I feel we ultimately won't use....even tho I hate to waste, I also hate to waste my time!

I keep a container in the freezer for dibs and dabs (not enough to save for another meal) and when I make soup I include all the dibs and dabs. I also add the water from boiling potatoes, etc. to the container. It makes a wonderful soup, many times only having to cook a little meat with the add-ins. Helps on the food budget, time of prep of the soup, and the health benefits of the bits of vegetables that would have gone into the garbage.

Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Keeping Track of Leftovers
Food and Recipes FreezingMay 17, 2006
Labeling Children's Belongings
Labeling Children's Belongings
Organizing Leftovers
Labeling Your Breakers
Labeling Your Breakers
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
Using Thanksgiving Leftovers
🎉
🎄