Cleaning Formica Countertop Before Painting

I want to clean Formica so that I can faux paint it to look like granite. What should I use to make sure it is really clean and the paint will stick?

By Maryann P. from Phoenix, AZ

TSP is the best thing to use to clean them properly. Just make sure you also rinse and dry well before painting.

Kim from Penetang

Hi Maryanne:

I just created a blog through this website all about my experiences remodeling my kitchen. I painted my counter tops to look like galaxy granite and talk about some of the troubles I ran into while doing it, which might be of benefit to you. I'm not sure if my blog is working correctly or if anybody has taken a look at it, but I'd love it if they did.

Like grammakin suggested, I used TSP to clean my counters and in my blog I talk about some of the other steps involved.

Thrifty-Something Blog:

Be sure you are logged in if you want to connect to my link. I'm not sure if it's just my computer, but if you want to see additional information about each photo you have to click on the photo.

Good luck with your counters.

Cleaning Formica
Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenAugust 1, 2009
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Man repairing kitchen countertops.
Repairing Bubbles in Formica Countertop