Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

I have a 3 1/2 year old Jack Russell-male, an 8 month old male Jack Russell, a 10 month old male Pit Bull, and a female miniature Pomeranian, that's a year and 8 months old. They are all in the same house.

My female has recently gone into heat and the Pit Bull has attacked the older Jack Russell. But ever since I got the Bull, the Jack Russell has bullied the Pit Bull. He growls when they go to eat or leaves his treats in the floor daring him to take it.

I have since moved the Pit Bull out of the home. I have placed him in a dog lot at my mom's. I just need to know how to handle this situation, I love both of these males they're like my children.

My husband passed away August 13, 2009 he raised the Jack Russell with a firm hand. Since then the Jack Russell has became even more possessive of me. I need help. I love both dogs and I miss the Pit Bull, but I have become afraid of him.

By Tresa from Cherokee, NC

You are dealing with a case of k-9 jealousy! The older pet is trying to establish his Alpha dog role and won't tolerate (on his own terms)anyone getting in his way or getting close to you.He will protect you at all costs.You have to make sure each pet has their own space and separate feeding dishes. When he acts up you may try giving him a time out (just as you would a child).Put him in a create, until he calms down.It may take numerous times of doing so before he catches on- but he will finally make the connection bad behavior means time away from the group. Another thing you can try is getting the younger pets out and playing with them -while he watches and slowly incorporate him into your group. By doing so will show him that you are in command and that if he wants to join he will have to accept the others.

With a female in heat (three weeks) is a long time with several males in the house. As small as the female dog is, I'd be careful for her safety with all the males as they could hurt her. Get the male dogs neutered and the female spayed. Hormones change after this process and lessens the attack mode amongst the pack.

The dog who is aggressive should be served his feed bowl last according to the Dog Whisperer. Check out his website as there's a lot to be said about aggression in dogs and between them. Getting an in depth understanding about life among dog packs will help you to form better decisions.

I always go to leerburg.com for socializing puppy information and podcasts. They are free and very helpful. Good luck!

Blessings, Robyn

February 22, 2010 Flag

My male 3 month old Chi Pin puppy Ozzy is aggressive towards my 3 year old Chi Pin male Buddy. Buddy is very sweet and obedient and we believe he does not want to hurt the puppy. Buddy looks and sounds like he's fighting back, but he has never hurt Ozzy.

The puppy does listen when I tell him no, but goes right back to attacking Buddy. Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this? I don't want to end up screaming at him, but he has already caused Buddy's eye and lip to swell.

jklovdogs from Lafayette, LA

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

I think they are determining who will be the Alpha. Until one of them rolls over on their back to submit it will continue. It's a normal dog thing, but can be distressing. You might call your vet for advice or I'm sure someone on here will have some advice. Good luck. (03/20/2009)

By Wendopolis

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

I love that someone with toy dogs took a pic of what they're really like instead of showing them sitting in a dress.

Often a nervous dog is forced into the role because owners are not being effective leaders. It sounds like the pup might be claiming you as property and guarding you by attacking the other dog.

Scaring off a dog is not the same thing as firm discipline. Never raise your voice because the second you do; you have lost all control and respect from your dogs. Calmly, but firmly is how you need to speak. Even better is to correct them with a short, firm sound right before they do bad things and no other speaking.

Don't pick up the pup to stop them, because that is rewarding their bad behavior. You may even try leaving the room to see if that stops your pup. You may have to repeat your actions numerous times, but you must always stand firm no matter how long it seems to take. Stand firm just a few times and the pup will learn their place, which is obeying you, not claiming ownership of you.

Keep up with allowing them plenty of play time, also. Tired dogs are well behaved dogs who sleep. Non exercised dogs have numerous behavior problems and are always looking for something to burn off their nervous energies. (03/21/2009)

By dh8

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

Go to animalbehavior.net. Free to join. Very informative. (03/22/2009)

By maggie3956

Puppy is Aggressive Towards Other Dog

Use a water spray bottle turned to a stream. Are you sure he's being aggressive and not just playing? (03/22/2009)

By joycehorner

Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 22, 2010
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Toddler Being Aggressive
Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling