How To Make Homemade Hot/Cold Packs

I need a pattern for a hot/cold neck pack. Thank you.

By cotygirl from Canada

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I've made rice bags from muslin. No pattern, really. Here are approximate measurements, based on one of my existing rice bags.

I cut a piece of muslin about 12" X 11". Fold it in half to 6'" X 11". Stitch along the bottom (short) side and the long side. Turn right side out. Fill with desired amount of rice. Fold unfinished edges in, and run two lines of stitches (for extra security) along the last side.

When I've given these as gifts, I've made covers out of flannel. Just make it a little larger than the rice bag like a pillow case. I made a couple button holes and buttons on the open end to make it cuter and to help keep the bag from shifting/sliding out.

The quickest way to make a hot-cold pack is by taking a pillow case (made of cotton or 50/50 cotton-poly) then pour in one or 2 boxes or bags of any type of rice. (Minute rice OR regular). Then tie a knot on the end of this pillow case so the rice stays in.

To heat: Simply microwave it to heat the rice up. Usually for 2 or 3 minutes. You can also freeze it. But I prefer to instead use this rice-bag for only heating, then use a bag of frozen peas or corn for cooling. Buy 2 bags of peas & switch them out when the first starts to melt. When you no longer need the frozen peas (or corn) you can eat the veggies. (as long as they stayed frozen!)

I like the way you can take the warm rice-bag with you in the car, unlike a heating pad, this bag is portable!

If you know how to sew, you can turn the empty pillow case inside-out, then sew 2 seams up the middle of the pillow case 1 inch apart, then with scissors cut between the seams so you'll have 2 thin tubes, then fill with rice & knot the ends. If you use a pillow case you will have lots of room to move the rice around for your best fit & comfort. Buy your pillow cases at Second Hand at any Thrift Store or Garage Sale for 50 cents.

---> If they get dirty, simply un-knot the pillow case then dump the rice into a container & wash & dry the fabric then refill with the rice again. Easy, Fast & Cheap... Plus, if you are poor, you can buy the rice & frozen peas with Food Stamps & eat them when you no longer need the hot-cold packs!

* If you want a nice scent, add several tablespoons of Dried Lavender, Whole Cloves or slightly crushed Cinnamon Sticks to the Rice.

Answer

Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad
Microwave Heating Pads
Crafts OtherFebruary 15, 2010
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 26, 2016 at 10:08:45 AM on 10.0.1.139 in 330 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.