Electrolytic Method For Cleaning Silver

The easiest way to clean your silver is by the electrolytic method. Boil a quart of water in a non-aluminum pot. adds a Tbsp. or two of baking soda and a Tbsp. of salt. Put a 4 inch piece of aluminum or a crumpled ball into the pot. Put each piece of silver in separately. DO NOT STACK. The tarnish collects on the foil (and any silver that's sticking out of the water) Remove pieces with tongs after 5 minutes

Source: Mary Ellen's Clean House by Dale Burg

By Randa from San Marcos, TX

Do not use this method on silverplate or on antique silver. It will damage both. I have used this for years on my tableware and contemporary sterling with good results, but it has ruined my plated pieces and my antique silver.

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalJanuary 28, 2008
Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing