Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring

Squirrels and other rodents can cause, expensive to repair, damage to your car by chewing on the wiring. This is a guide about squirrels chewing on car wiring.

Squirrel Chewing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I live out in the country and have a problem with rats or squirrels, not sure which. They get under the hood of my car and chew the wires or cables. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to prevent them from doing this. The car is kept under an open carport. I would appreciate any helpful information.

Bonnie from Porum, Ok

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I read the other answers, all saying to kill the squirrels. This is ridiculous and time consuming. Allstate Insurance advises spraying the wiring with bitter apple or other bitter unpalatable and unforgettable taste. Google this and you can get details.

Read More Answers...

I am having a problem, and this has been twice within 6 months. The squirrels are making a nest on top of my gas tank and chewing my fuel line wiring. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
I have never had this problem in the more than 19 years I have lived in my location.

By Jill T.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know it's mean but I would throw stones at the squirrels anytime I see them get near where they are not supposed to be. If you don't want to hurt them with stones, try paperwads. If they know that some kind of ammo is coming at them, they'll leave.

Squirrels are chewing the wires on my car (battery, control systems, and plugs). It needs to stop. My car is in shop now, because of this! What can I do to stop this?

By Carl

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bonnie,

The Rid-A-Rat installed once by yourself will solve the problem. Perhaps with a major problem you might need 2. They ship their product all over.

Kyle

Read More Answers...

They have made a nest three times and ate wires in the motor of my SUV. Someone suggested using smelly drier sheets, at night when not using the car. It didn't work. We then had nice smelling nests. Any help will be greatly appreciated?

By Donna B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes we just had this problem last week with the squirrels chewing the spark plug wires into. Go to hardware store and purchase "Tomcat". It works for squirrels, mice and rats. We have had no more problems.

Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksMay 7, 2013
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Rodents
Preventing Rodents From Chewing on Your Car's Fuel Line
Squirrels outside.
Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 9:05:03 PM on 10.0.0.209 in 516 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.