Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring

Squirrels and other rodents can cause, expensive to repair, damage to your car by chewing on the wiring. This is a guide about squirrels chewing on car wiring.

I live out in the country and have a problem with rats or squirrels, not sure which. They get under the hood of my car and chew the wires or cables. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to prevent them from doing this. The car is kept under an open carport. I would appreciate any helpful information.

Bonnie from Porum, Ok

Squirrels do not like the smell of irish spring soap (MUST BE THE GREEN BAR..THE ORIGINAL) .You can grate it with potato peeler or just place bars around area . Don't know if ya can use it under the hood but maybe. They don't like it. Repeat as necessary . Especially good in attic.

Cathy from MA

I found rat droppings under my car and a chewed wire casing. I got the cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on every wire I could see. The salesperson I went to for help in the local hardware store phoned a pest control person who instructed me to put two rat traps under my car near the inside of the two front tires. He then told me to by a mini fan and pop the hood each night and stick the fan inside to make it unbearably cold under the hood. After reading your posts, I wasn't taking any chances. I caught a rat in the trap the very next day. I moved the car and will be treating the area. Thanks for the cayannne pepper tip.

I solved a similar problem by using a mouse trap! The mouse was catch the next day. email me (enuj_silos AT yahoo.com) if you need a picture of the mouse trap that I used.

The power steering went out my "new" (I bought it three months ago tomorrow) 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid. Squirrels have chewed the wiring harness. $700 for the harness and $1200 labor. It's covered by insurance - less the deductible. Thanks for all the hints. Has anyone tried La Yu - the pepper oil that's used in Chinese cooking? Or tobasco sauce.

What did you do? We have the same problem.

I've been doing some research and it says that once a rat or other rodent makes a nest in your car that it leaves behind feces and urine odors that never go away, even if you remove the nest. This odor attracts future rodent residents. I'm under the impression that it might be a good idea to have the entire engine compartment pressure cleaned to remove this attracting smell. I don't know if it is necessary to apply an anti urine product but spraying the engine with such a product might also stop the problem. I'm going to try it as I'm having the same problem in my car.

I had rats chewing wires in my car and a friend in Prescott had rabbits in the car. He saw the rabbit when he opened the cars hood. We both put Rid-a-Rats in our car and problem is happily gone. They say it will work on many animals.

Most of the hardware stores around here carry them. They chase the animals away they don't kill them. It has saved me a lot of money.

Please go to the site rid-a-rat.com and read what they say. The have 3 test labs that have tested 100s of hours different products before coming out with the rid-a-rat

The inventors are a retired aerospace engineer and an a Phd animal behaviorist. A lot of work went in to this new technology. They gave me a 100% money back guarantee too.They even talked to me on the phone before I got one over the internet because I had so many questions.480 488 6820. I would never again try anything else.Now many of my neighbors are happy because they have them and don't have to worry about all the damage they were getting by animals chewing wires in their cars.It works great for rabbits and for mice. My friend drove 12 miles with the rabbit in his car to the mechanic.They popped the hood and the rabbit ran for dear life!

This is a product that uses a brand new patent pending technology and is used across the US and in Canada.

Please do not use poison, it won't kill the rats most of the time and if they have eaten it they just get weak. In their weakened state they make a nice stack for hawks,owl,eagles,coyotes,and the cats such as mountain lions,and bobcats.

Havaheart traps are wonderful. Then you can choose what to do with your critter. Rid-a-Rat.com is also green and made in the US by Americans

I read the other answers, all saying to kill the squirrels. This is ridiculous and time consuming. Allstate Insurance advises spraying the wiring with bitter apple or other bitter unpalatable and unforgettable taste. Google this and you can get details.

I am having a problem, and this has been twice within 6 months. The squirrels are making a nest on top of my gas tank and chewing my fuel line wiring. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
I have never had this problem in the more than 19 years I have lived in my location.

By Jill T.

I know it's mean but I would throw stones at the squirrels anytime I see them get near where they are not supposed to be. If you don't want to hurt them with stones, try paperwads. If they know that some kind of ammo is coming at them, they'll leave.

Squirrels are chewing the wires on my car (battery, control systems, and plugs). It needs to stop. My car is in shop now, because of this! What can I do to stop this?

By Carl

Use half water and half ammonia. Works great, I use it every winter for my lawnmower, weedeater, etc. Put into a spray bottle and spray wherever needed.

Bonnie,

The Rid-A-Rat installed once by yourself will solve the problem. Perhaps with a major problem you might need 2. They ship their product all over.

Kyle

They have made a nest three times and ate wires in the motor of my SUV. Someone suggested using smelly drier sheets, at night when not using the car. It didn't work. We then had nice smelling nests. Any help will be greatly appreciated?

By Donna B.

Yes we just had this problem last week with the squirrels chewing the spark plug wires into. Go to hardware store and purchase "Tomcat". It works for squirrels, mice and rats. We have had no more problems.