Cleaning Holes on Mini Salt Shaker

I have a mini salt shaker that I haven't used in quite awhile. The holes are clogged with salt. How do I unplug it so I can use it again? The salt is rock hard. I tried using a toothpick to no avail. Very hot water didn't work either. Any suggestions on how to get it free flowing again? Thanks.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Try letting it soak for a few hours to soften the salt, and then use either a soft tooth brush to scrub the holes (may have to re-soak). Or try using a sewing needles after it has soaked.

Was going to say the same as Scottish Yankee but was going to suggest a toothpick, wooden or plastic ;-)

Try soaking the top in straight white vinegar for a few days or even longer.

A bulletin board pushpin has a nice "handle" to manually unclog salt shaker holes. I keep one on a fridge magnet for easy access!

This is a solution for "before" the shaker gets clogged. I always put rice in all of my salt shakers so it absorbs the humidity which causes the shakers to clog. My mother was the one who taught this to me.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 25, 2010
salt shaker
Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
glass laying on table
Cleaning a Corroded Salt Shaker