Gardening: Fertilize With Banana Peels

My grandmother always had the most beautiful gardens I had ever seen. Peonies, roses, clematis, you name it she had it; but she never used man made fertilizer. I spent a month with her during a summer vacation. One day after breakfast, she was cutting up banana peels into small pieces and crushing egg shells into tiny pieces. She then mixed the banana peels and egg shells together. She told me to go put them in the garden and mix them into the dirt. This was all she used as her natural fertilizer for the flowers. I now use them in my gardens and, wow, what a difference. You have to try this. Enjoy the beautiful blooms.

By SPTRAVIS from Halifax, Nova Scotia

My grandma always had the most beautiful roses, and I believe it was because she fertilized with used coffee grounds and banana peels! I saved banana peels and egg shells in a freezer bag over winter, and then put in the bottom of each hole before I planted my tomatoes. What a difference! Guess they love the calcium and magnesium!

I'll have to try this, is there a limit to how much you should use or how often?