Keeping Tuna Salad from Being Dry

What do you put in your tuna salad? I put 2 cans of tuna, 2 eggs, mayo and a little sugar. However, I ordered a tuna sandwich from a restaurant yesterday and it was delicious. Mine is usually kind of dry. Do you know what the secret ingredient is?

Onesummer

Best Answer

Are you making it then eating it later? Eggs absorb a lot of moisture and anything containing them should be eaten right away so it won't be dry.

Best Answer

I make my tuna salad with mayo, mustard, sweet pickle relish and onion. It's delicious and remains moist.

Best Answer

Dill pickle relish, celery seed, onion, mayo and sour cream for mine....if I am in the right mood, some diced jalapeno or green chiles!

MtM

I like a little chopped onion in mine, too. But maybe instead of the sugar a little sweet pickle relish might help?

It probably has a LOT of mayonnaise in it, most "moist" salads do. Maybe some pickle juice too!

I'm not sure if it will help with the dryness but my grandmother always puts a tablespoon of yellow mustard in hers and it's fantastic!

I put tuna, pepper, salt, celery, onion, mayonnaise, cooked pasta and lots of oil. Key ingredient to prevent dryness is oil and not olive oil. Never dry and stays moist stored in the fridge. Now I want some.

My Tuna Salad is very simple. Tuna, sweet relish and mayo. I do not use eggs.

I add a quick squeeze of lemon juice to mine. It really enhances the flavor and keeps the tuna moist!

Good Luck!

Christine

White tuna packed in water--drained

celery diced small

miracle whip 2 T. per large can

relish or sweet pickle juice 4 T.

a few seedless grapes cut up small

To one regular size can of tuna:

2 tsp sweet pickle relish

1/4 tsp celery seed

Mayo

salt and pepper

That's about it. But I only buy solid white Albacore tuna. I have found that there's a big difference in taste and appearance.

Good luck with your search - if you find that perfect recipe, I would love to have a copy. Maybe you could post it?

Happy New Year from Smoochie

:)

Some of these tuna recipes sound great! Mine (my mom's) was always very simple - canned tuna, Miracle Whip, and celery diced small. Nothing else. (ESPECIALLY no onions! I've had restaurant tuna salad with onions and in my opinion they totally overpower the taste.) I think that sometimes restaurants go a little heavier on the mayo and lighter on the tuna (for economic reasons, to stretch the salad), so maybe just try using a little bit more mayo or Miracle Whip. Bon appetit!

Instead of sugar, try sweet pickle juice and a chopped-up sweet pickle.

I use half mayo and half Miracle Whip, the usual other ingredients, but love to add dried dill weed to it for an extra kick.

Tuna, Miracle Whip (to get it to the right consistency), chopped boiled eggs, chopped onion (optional), black pepper, chopped dill pickles, some canned sweet green peas (drained, optional). I've had many compliments on my tuna salad. Can serve it on various breads, crackers or on a lettuce leaf, or over the top of a salad. We like tuna salad year around, but especially in the hot Summer months. It keeps well in the fridge, if kept covered.