Lace Christening Gown Has Yellowed

I have a 41 year old lace christening gown that has yellowed and I would like to get it back to its original color of white. Can someone help me with this? Thanks.

Kathy from Frackville, PA

hand wash with liquid blueing you can get in the laundry section at your local store mix the bluing in the water before you put it in or you will end up with blue spots. for rust stains use a paste of cream of tarter and water let it set for a few minutes then gently scrub it off you may have to try this a few times. Make sure you do not use hot water and handwash this vintage item. lay it out and roll in a towel to get out the excess water and lay flat to dry. This is the best way to preserve vintage items!

Anna

http://trialsofafrazzledmom.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6524618

I've seen those Oxy-clean commercials where Billy Mays seems to magically white yellowed lace curtains. However, common household hydrogen peroxide will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. A capful or two per gallon of cold water should work. If not, try a little stronger solution, perhaps 1/3 cup peroxide per gallon.

Like Anna said, though, do treat this treasure gently. I'm sure I don't need to remind you, though.

Jo

You can go to greatcleaners.com and buy the Baby Soak Oxyclean. I order it and wouldn't be without it! It is much more effective than the regular for stains, I love it and it is well worth the cost which to me is a bargain! It only runs between $9 & $10 for a nice size tub. I highly recommend it!

Soak it overnight in a solution of 1 Qt. WHITE Vinegar to 1 gal. water. Then wash gently. Rinse with bluing that has been mixed with water so you do not get spots. The vinegar trick works on many things like OLD wine stains, etc. Not very good for grease stains though. Make sure it is WHITE vinegar though. I have used this method on many vintage doilys with excellent results. Good luck.

Thank you to all who sent me answers in regards to the yellow christening dress. Today my neighbor and I soaked the dress in the Oxyclean and it came aout beautiful. I could not believe this product worked as well as it did. I would recommend this to anyone needing to remove yellow from an article.

Thanks again.

Kathy from Frackville, PA

Oxyclean is usually used with Hot water. Does it work with cool water. My sons christening gown is 33 years old and is yellow rather than white. The cap has a satin tie. He and his wife want to use it for their soon to arrive son. I don't want it to shrink. Please advise. Thanks, Clare

Just oxyclean. Did you use a mixture of water and the oxyclean?

Put white vinegar on the spots. Put in sunlight, let dry, repeat this till the spots are gone. I did this with a white evening gown. It worked for me, good luck.

Christening Gown
Cleaning a Old Christening Gown
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsDecember 17, 2008
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Vintage Lace
Removing Stains From Antique Lace
Cleaning Lace Curtains
Cleaning Lace Curtains
🎉
🎄