Home Remedy For Silver Tarnish

What are some home remedies for silver tarnish?

Carolyn from New York

Ever try catsup? I use it to polish copper bottom pans also.

This link will tell you how to clean it instantly with aluminum foil, baking soda and I believe salt

Take a plastic or non-reactive dish. Place aluminum foil in the bottom. Add warm water, and some dishwasher powder. Add the silver item, make sure it is ON the foil. Wait a few minutes, up to 15, take the item out. The slimy slippery feel is the tarnish! Rinse and wipe under running water, and marvel at the difference!

I also use Blitz! cloths, they are amazing!

I read the remedies for getting tarnish off silver on this site. I used the remedy of lining a pan with aluminum foil, place the silver necklace on the aluminum foil, pour boiling water over the necklace, and added about 1/2 cup of baking soda. It worked great and the necklace was back to shiny silver within about 2 minutes! It worked much faster than I thought it would. The hint that I would like to give for this process: Make sure that the silver touches the aluminum foil without any baking soda under it.

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalNovember 19, 2007
Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing