Preventing Silver from Tarnishing

Category Metal
Unsightly tarnish can mar the beauty of fine silver. With care and proper storage silver tarnish can be prevented. This is a guide about preventing silver from tarnishing.

Why buy expensive jewelry cleaner for my tarnished silver pieces? Now I use white toothpaste with an old used toothbrush. Give it a few swirls inside the crannies, and my silver jewelry now sparkles as if I got it professionally cleaned.

By Cipora Auslander from Miami, FL

To keep silver jewelry from tarnishing, place jewelry in an airtight container or jewelry box. Toss in those little packets of desiccant that come with new shoes or leather items. The packets wick away moisture and keep silver from tarnishing. Works for silverware and silver serving pieces.

Source: The Dollar Stretcher

By Monica from Cortez, CO

To keep brass collectibles or silver-plated picture frames or various what-knots from tarnishing try this: While the item is new and bright colored, spray it with two coats of clear lacquer/shellac. Let it dry completely between coats. It will not tarnish in the future. This method can also be used on plastic/poly-resin items that are exposed to sunlight to keep them from fading so quickly. Examples: yard decorations and items indoors that are left near a window sill.

By Laura from Elberta, AL

Will wiping silver items with lemon oil prevent tarnishing?

Answers

The best way is to not expose it to air and light.

There are some websites like this one that talk about using lemon oil to clean tarnish. naturallybeautiful.life/.../ but I have never tried it.

I personally would not leave anything on my silver. It always needs to be put away clean, dry, wrapped in the burgundy color felt pouch they came in, and stored in a dark, dry, cool, but not cold location.

My nana swore by that method and I follow it after inheriting it. In doing this, I rarely have to do deep clean polishes.

My cleaning method is this one (the tongs are important so you don't get burned):

www.rd.com/.../

I hope you have the same success with this method as I have.

You can use lemon to clean and polish some silver but I do not believe it will keep it from tarnishing.

• Here is a link about using lemon on silver:
  • lavalier.com/.../
  • There are several ways to keep silver from tarnishing but the most common would be to wrap each piece separately and store in a sealed bag/container.
  • Roll each piece of silver in acid-free tissue paper or unbleached cotton muslin (found at fabric stores). Be sure not to let one piece of silver touch another, or they may scratch each other. Place wrapped silver in resealable plastic bags. Seal and store.
  • Ad

• Also; plain white chalk absorbs moisture, and moisture causes tarnish. To slow tarnishing, wrap a piece of chalk in cheesecloth and place it in the bag with your silver.

if your silver has already gotten tarnished, making a paste of cornstarch and water and rubbing it on the silver, leaving it on for a bit, then rubbing it off with a dry terry or cheesecloth.

I'm not sure you want to put anything on it to prevent tarnising - in fact, constant exposure to acids probably would be the opposite of helpful. Washing with warm water after and then rubbing with a cloth like this one (www.amazon.com/.../?tag=thrif06-20 would help a lot

What can I seal silver or brass ornaments with to stop them tarnishing after polishing?

Susan C from Durban

Answers

By Lexi (Guest Post)

We have used plain clear lacquer (in a spray can) to put a thin coat on things like polished brass door knockers & door handles. Just spray a really thin coat, let it dry thoroughly, then spray a second really thin coat. We did this 2 years ago to a door knocker and it still shines.

By (Guest Post)

my friend uses clear nail polish for smaller pieces

To clean tarnish off silver without using a silver polish, coat the silver with toothpaste, then run it under warm water, work it into a foam, and rinse it off. For stubborn stains or for silverware with intricate grooves, use an old soft bristled toothbrush.

By joesgirl

Answers:

Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

Toothpaste and tarnished silver your right it'll clean it right up. (10/14/2007)

By Anna

Toothpaste Fights Tarnish On Silver

it does not stop it from tarnishing. (11/02/2008)

By mes