Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Gathering with the Sewing Machine

I use an easy way to gather fabric without the gathering thread breaking. Pull out both the bobbin and the top threads to a length longer than the piece to be gathered, and pull them to the right of the needle. Set the machine to a ziz-zag stitch. Put the fabric under the pressure foot and make 2 or 3 stitches. Pull the two threads to the front of the pressure foot and start sewing. The zig-zag stitch will cover the threads almost automatically. Pull the threads to gather as full as needed. If I have several widths of fabric to gather, I divide it into quarters or half and gather each section separately.

By Bettie

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Dawn T. (Guest Post)02/08/2009

That was awesome, thank you so much for your time to post this advise!

By Paula Hite (Guest Post)02/22/2008

That is a GREAT idea, Bette! I can't wait to try it!

By beth (Guest Post)02/21/2008

How wonderful is this! I am so thankful to know this now.

By Ashley (Guest Post)09/30/2007

I had absolutely no idea how to do a machine gather. With these instructions, it was SO simple. Thank you so much!

By Larson (Guest Post)07/31/2006

Thank you so much. My machine is a little old with no "gathering" setting. Worked like a charm :)

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.