Gathering with the Sewing Machine

I use an easy way to gather fabric without the gathering thread breaking. Pull out both the bobbin and the top threads to a length longer than the piece to be gathered, and pull them to the right of the needle. Set the machine to a ziz-zag stitch. Put the fabric under the pressure foot and make 2 or 3 stitches. Pull the two threads to the front of the pressure foot and start sewing. The zig-zag stitch will cover the threads almost automatically. Pull the threads to gather as full as needed. If I have several widths of fabric to gather, I divide it into quarters or half and gather each section separately.

By Bettie

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thank you so much. My machine is a little old with no "gathering" setting. Worked like a charm :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I had absolutely no idea how to do a machine gather. With these instructions, it was SO simple. Thank you so much!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How wonderful is this! I am so thankful to know this now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That is a GREAT idea, Bette! I can't wait to try it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

That was awesome, thank you so much for your time to post this advise!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Crafts SewingFebruary 18, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:20:03 AM on 10.0.1.166 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings