Gathering with the Sewing Machine

I use an easy way to gather fabric without the gathering thread breaking. Pull out both the bobbin and the top threads to a length longer than the piece to be gathered, and pull them to the right of the needle. Set the machine to a ziz-zag stitch. Put the fabric under the pressure foot and make 2 or 3 stitches. Pull the two threads to the front of the pressure foot and start sewing. The zig-zag stitch will cover the threads almost automatically. Pull the threads to gather as full as needed. If I have several widths of fabric to gather, I divide it into quarters or half and gather each section separately.

By Bettie

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Thank you so much. My machine is a little old with no "gathering" setting. Worked like a charm :)

I had absolutely no idea how to do a machine gather. With these instructions, it was SO simple. Thank you so much!

How wonderful is this! I am so thankful to know this now.

That is a GREAT idea, Bette! I can't wait to try it!

That was awesome, thank you so much for your time to post this advise!

Comment

A sewing room garbage can by tying a bag to the table leg.
Sewing Tips And Tricks
Crafts SewingFebruary 18, 2005
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Cover
Making a Sewing Machine Cover
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 21, 2016 at 12:12:09 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 889 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.