Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

I want to make a 30 day cake, but I do not know how to get the starter mixture started. Can you help me?

By Carol from Union City, TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By elva [1]09/22/2010

Do you mean the Friendship Cake? I had the recipes but I think that it too much troulbe to make a cake. But that is just my thinking, I want to nake a cake with in a hours time and be done with it.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]09/19/2010

Read all the Archives, someone posted the starter recipe.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Starter For "30 Day Cake"

My mother in law, God rest her soul, used to make a "30 day cake". Everyone loved it and I would like to make it for the family for the holidays. However, it needs a starter and I have no idea how to "start" the starter! If anyone out there can help I would love to hear from you.
Thanks.

Sue from Morrow, OH

RE: Starter For "30 Day Cake"

Starter For Friendship Bread

Starter Ingredients

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk

Directions: Mix in a large, sealable zip lock baggie with wooden spoon. Do not use metal spoon or bowl. Remove all air. Do not refrigerate. It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble and ferment. It will expand each day.

• Day One: Squeeze bag
  • Day Two: Squeeze bag
  • Day Three: Squeeze bag
  • Day Four: Squeeze bag
  • Day Five: Squeeze bag
  • Day Six: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup sugar. Mix in bag.
  • Day Seven: Squeeze bag
  • Day Eight: Squeeze bag
  • Day Nine: Squeeze bag
  • Day Ten: Combine in large bowl the batter, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mix with wooden spoon. Pour into 4 sealable bags, dividing into 4 (one cup) starters. Keep 1 and give 3 to friends along with copy of Friendship Bread recipe.

Friendship Bread

Ingredients

• 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 box vanilla instant pudding
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, (opt.)
  • 1 /2 cups dates or raisins (opt.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 2 loaf pans. Coat insides with mixture of the cinnamon and sugar, reserving some for sprinkling on top of loaves. Add remaining ingredients to starter. Divide batter into bread pans and sprinkle tops with reserved cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake for 1 hour. (09/09/2008)

By Madeline

RE: Starter For "30 Day Cake"

Hope this is what you want.

30 Day Cake

• 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 1 box yellow cake mix, no pudding in mix
  • 1 box instant Butterscotch/pecan pudding
  • 1 1/2 cups brandied fruit (recipe follows)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (any kind)

In big bowl mix well: eggs, oil, cake mix and pudding. Fold in fruit and nuts. Pour into greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until it tests done.

Brandied Fruit:

Leave in a warm place like the kitchen counter.

• 1 1/2 cups starter juice (from a previous batch or somebody else)
  • 1 (29 oz.) can sliced peaches, drained

Mix this together and stir daily for 10 days. On the 10th day add:

• 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice

Stir for 10 days.

On the 20th day add 2 (9 oz.) jars maraschino cherries, cut up and drained. Stir daily for 10 more days.

On the 30th day drain the juices from the fruit and divide the fruit into three portions, 1 for each cake. Use some of the juice for starter. (09/09/2008)

By CSchlim

RE: Starter For "30 Day Cake"

If you're looking for the one with fruit (previously posted), you can start it without any "starter" if you don't have any. I add 1.5 cups sugar to the peaches and stir it every day for 10 days, then continue on as previous post indicates. I've always used cake mixes with pudding included, so then I don't have to also purchase pudding mix. (I also finely chop the fruit and nuts before adding to cake mixture so there aren't huge chunks of stuff in the cake--my preference.) (09/09/2008)

By Loralie_c

Archive: Starter for a "30 Day Cake"

I have a recipe for a Friendship Cake that takes 30 days to complete. You need a starter and you add fruit to it every so many days, and let it sit. Then on the 30th day you bake it.