Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

We have a one year old Chihuahua that is driving us crazy with house training. Chico continues to use our home as a bathroom. We take him and our other dog (a 7 year old chocolate Lab) outside on a regular basis and have favorable results. Still, Chico will pee on unusual things, like clothes hampers, comforters, dog beds, and we have even seen him pee in the other dog's water dish and on his back when he is sleeping. They otherwise get along fantastically and play very well together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Jo

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By carol [2]03/02/2011

I agree with Batwing. Kep the dog and find your guy a new girlfriend. If you did get married,and had children I feel you'll get very little help or support. which we all need. I would be very leary of anyone who didn't like pets. Think long and hard girl.

By Myrna [13]03/01/2011

Try putting a doggie wrap for incontinency on Chico and see if this helps cut down on the problem. Will not cure it, but keeps you from having to clean messes everywhere when it's contained and remove it when you take him outdoors to potty.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

I have a 2 1/2 year old Chihuahua and I have tried for all these years to house train him. He goes through the house hiking his leg on everything and pooping everywhere. I work nights and I am there during the day. He stays in the basement most of the time because I have a big problem with pet poop and pee.

I just don't know what to do about this. I feel bad that he has to stay cooped up in the basement all the time, but I don't have any other solution. So if some one could please help it would be a life saver.

Amanda from Cumming, GA

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

dog-diapers.com

You might be able to make your own doggie diapers and save a lot of money. (01/22/2008)

By MCW

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Crate training is my favorite way to house train. He probably could be neutered too if he isn't already and you don't plan on breeding. He may be hiking his leg or mark his territory. You also have to clean well everywhere he went in the house. The Humane Society has some good info on crate training.

hsus.org (01/22/2008)

By junebug_000

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Chihuahua's can be very difficult to housetrain. As suggested, a crate is really the only method to make this 100% successful, as well as neutering if he isn't already. An unentered male is going to mark to stake out his territory and the longer it is allowed to go on, the less success you are going to have stopping it. Male doggie diapers or pee pee bands can help, but the other two should be done first. (01/23/2008)

By leshia27

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Definitely crate train your dog! Your schedule "must" be 110% consistent while you're trying to train them. Give the dog 110% consistent feeding schedules and decrease the water slightly before the periods during which you will be gone the longest.

Set realistic times for walking the dog until they go. You might like working a 10 hour shift and driving home, but could you stay for 11+ hours without going to the bathroom everyday? You may need to use your lunch break to go home and walk the dog depending on how long the shift is.

It sounds like your dog isn't getting enough exercise either. Small dogs need the same exercise that large ones do. They do not get enough exercise "running around" your house or apt. You must "really walk" the dog even if you're tired from working all night. It will help "move things along" and do wonders for the dog's mental health as well as help get them housebroken.

Since you're starting fresh; you also need to thoroughly scour your home from top to bottom since your dog has been using it as a toilet for over 2 years. It may seem clean to you; but to the dog it smells like his usual toilet.

Because your dog has trained you to use your home as a free-for-all toilet; it will take rock solid consistency to properly retrain him, but the dog is probably desperately craving the attention and exercise involved in that training. (01/28/2008)

By D

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Crate training is good. I would cover the entire floor with newspaper when he is out and praise him when he goes potty. Always say "go potty" while he is hiking his leg on the paper. If you see him hiking or marking anything, but the paper, tell him firmly but calmly "no" and put him on the paper. It will also help him really learn not to go on the floor.

Freedom in the basement is not teaching him anything, but I would not crate him too long either. After meals, after waking, after playing, every 30 minutes or less ask him to go potty. You can also use a clicker for stubborn learners. When he is on the newspaper or pad and he pees, click the behavior while he is doing it. Immediately give him a piece of hot dog. Say, "Good dog, going potty." Do this as much as you can the first day. Clickers are the fastest way to train stubborn dogs.

Good luck and try to get him neutered if needed. Stay calm during mistakes and you will be on your way to a better behaved dog. Let us know how the clicking goes. (12/26/2008)

By Racer

***

Trouble House Training My Chihuahua
*** I have a year and a half old teacup Chihuahua/Min Pin mix. I got her when she was about 5 months old and was a kennel dog. I've tried outside pottying, litter pottying, and puppy pads.

Outside, she wants to do nothing, but eat rocks, mulch, bugs, everything, but use the bathroom. She wanted to eat the litter, but was scared to walk in the box. And the puppy pads are hit or miss. Sometimes she uses them and others she just wants to tear them up.

I'm at the point I just want to get rid of her, but then I think is there any hope for her. She doesn't even sniff when she does have to go she just drops where ever she is. She is ruining my brand new house! Any suggestions? Oh yes, we are not home, but about 4 hours a day.

By clh06

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Please don't take offense at what I am going to write here, but the fact is that since you only have four hours a day to spend with that little precious one, who is completely alone otherwise, says to me to say to you, "Please, find a suitable home for her with people who have the time, love and patience for her!" She is a living, breathing being that needs companionship, just like you and I need, and even more so because she is at the mercy of you as her parent. The fact that you wrote that you just want to get rid of her means she needs a loving home that is able to give her more care and attention than you are able to give! (06/01/2010)

By Deeli

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

Please find her a more suitable home. It is apparent that you aren't willing to provide a good home for this little fur baby. She deserves to be with a family that will spend time with her. Please just don't "get rid of her". (06/01/2010)

By K9cats

RE: Trouble House Training My Chihuahua

I agree with Deeli. A dog has to go out every few hours to train and you can't do that. Besides he needs company during the day to know he is loved and cared for. Please try to find him a good home (which you won't have any trouble doing). I'm sure you have good intentions, but he needs attention. (06/02/2010)

By carol101

I have a Chihuahua that I rescued at about a year old. I have tried mercifully to housetrain him and much to my dismay, am failing miserably.