A Cool Surface for Dogs

Any ideas on what works as a cool mat/surface for them? I have been pondering this problem for a while now. We have four dogs and the carpeted floors get quite hot in the summer. They love the slippery sleeping bags to lay on in the colder months...

Thank you... Have a Happy Memorial Day!

Christie from Vincentown, NJ

Bare floor or low-pile area rug on the north, shady side of living room. Turn floor fan on low and aim from across the room. I know it's time to turn on the window air conditioner when the dog sits right in front of the fan.

If you have a purely carpeted house then you could make them a nice cool spot. Get some scrap linoleum or laminate wooden flooring, build a base with plywood (not really thick just something for stability) and lay it somewhere out of the sun, near a fan or A/C vent. Then when it's summer you can either add some blankets on it with a doggy bed or two, or store it for the winter.

Hope that helps.

I just use old sheets for my dogs in the summer. The carpet gets too hot and they lay on the kitchen floor. But they are allowed on the furniture and in the winter I keep a blanket on the couch. In the summer I put the sheet on it and they stay nice and cool.

They also appreciate ice cubes being added to their water on really hot days.

If you can afford it, I have seen "cool beds" for dogs sold in pet catalogs such as Drs. Foster and Smith and PetSmart. God bless you and thank you for caring about your animals!

I wonder if a couple of ceramic tiles placed in a certain spot ... would be cooler for them to rest on...?

My black lab loves laying on my bathroom floor. It is much cooler than the rugs and she sleeps better.

A dog drinking water on a hot day.
Keeping Your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
Pets DogsMay 26, 2007
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
A thermometer on the side of a house reading 100 degrees fahrenheit.
Keeping Your House Cool Without AC
boy squeezing blemish
Remedy for Whiteheads