Healthy Oil for Popcorn

What kind of oil is 'healthy" for popping popcorn on the stove top?

By t_mboer

I pop my popcorn in the extra virgin olive oil that I use for all other cooking. I can't tell the difference!

I have been using Canola oil to pop popcorn for years. Olive oil tastes good, but tends to burn faster.

My personal taste says ditto to 'extra virgin' olive oil. Also it's 'burn' temp is 406° as opposed to canola oil which is 400°. Extra light olive oil burn temperature is even higher, 468°. It's regular unrefined olive oil that burns at only 320°.

As for which oil is healthiest, all vegetable oils we cook with contain a combination of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats in varying degrees so there really is no such thing as a saturated-fat-free oil or one containing only polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat.

The healthiest oil you can use is olive oil. Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat and, unlike butter, lard, and other fats, contains a large proportion of easily digested fats and no cholesterol. Olive oil is also a good source of vitamin E, which is thought to help protect humans against cancer and heart disease. It is now the third best selling oil in the US and getting more and more use because of its properties.

Popcorn in Blue Bowl
Making Popcorn Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingJune 21, 2009
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎉
🎄