General AdviceConsumer Advice

Online Data Storage

Would someone please tell me the pros and cons of on-line data storage. My computer keeps prompting me to set up my back up files online, but I am concerned they will be easier to hack if I do.

By skeesics56 from NW Ohio

I would be very wary of backing up files online unless it is for a specific software or program you use alot and trust. I just purchased a 1 Terrabite external hard drive at Staples for less than $100 and paid a one time fee of $36 for a service that came preloaded on it that automatically backs up my entire system constantly as I use it. (I use my computer all day long for a home based business.) I don't have to remember to do anything and I feel much more compfortable than sending my data into cyberspace. That's just my opinion and I am by no means a 'techy'.

CD's are about 10.00 now for 50, so that is what I do once a month. I pay the bills, back up the data onto a cd, and make a copy of that one. I then keep one at the house and one at the bank. If you have a fireproof safe that works, too.

Here are the sites that I have saved over the years:

Dropbox - www.getdropbox.com/install

Hordit - www.hordit.com/

Orbitfiles - www.orbitfiles.com/

FileFactory - filefactory.com/

Free file hosting and online storage - fileden.com/

Free File Hosting - MyFreeFileHosting - myfreefilehosting.com/

Free Online Storage - fileqube.com/

Free file hosting and image hosting - www.badongo.com/

Driveway - www.driveway.com/

Send Files - www.sendalong.com/account/send.­html

File Savr - www.filesavr.com/

Streamfile - www.streamfile.com/

humyo - www.humyo.com/pages/en/online-file­-storage

Filemail.com - www.filemail.com/

File Dropper - www.filedropper.com/

Box - box.net/

steekR - steekr.com/

DivShare - www.divshare.com/

4shared - www.4shared.com/

Free Secure - ww.xdrive.com/

Omnidrive - www.omnidrive.com/

Free File Hosting Made Simple - mediafire.com

openomy - www.openomy.com/filemanager/

DivShare - upload.divshare.com/

DigitalBucket.net - digitalbucket.net/Default.aspx

MediaMax - www.mediamax.com/

ElephantDrive - elephantdrive.com

If your computer keeps prompting you to store your files online, it already sounds as if you've picked up some malware along the way. This doesn't necessarily mean you have a virus or something that is compromising what's in your computer--it may just be unwanted advertising--which is annoying enough as it is.

If you're not already using it, you may want to install Norton Antivirus or McAfee and run a scan to isolate that program and any others that may be either slowing up your computer, sending in unsolicited advertising or keeping track of your web browsing habits. ( And those are just the mild ones-- more insidious malware can steal your keystrokes and passwords).

Unfortunately, we're all here to try to save a buck but we find that shelling out the money for Norton once a year is a necessary expense to keep our computer "safe & healthy".

How about if you get an external hard drive? They attach via a USB port and prices are quite reasonable now.

Anonymous

Ditto on the external hardrive but if you want professional, trustworthy advice for where to store online, contact Dear Webby. He's awesome and has rescued me many a time!

humor@webby.com

I back up all my files on jump (flash) drives. They come in various sizes (2, 4, 8, 16 GB) and hold a ton! And they are very small and compact. Very easy to use too. And you can get little cases to keep them in.

My thoughts exactly puppermum, if your computer, is asking you to back up i would be making copies of all my important stuff, and then reformatting my computer, if you don't know how ask a friend or some one to help you with it. you have spyware, and it can get really nasty.

Keep posting here and I am sure some one will be able to help you out.

cheers

hopefully spyware free in oz, kerry