Fumes From Oven Cleaner

I used oven cleaner to clean my oven and now when I use my stove the fumes burn my throat. Can the oven cleaner be causing this?

Leo from Boston

I think you answered your own question. Take a damp rag and wipe out the inside of your oven which will help remove any remaining oven cleaner.

Oven Cleaner is TOXIC.

Here's a better way: Dust the insides of the oven with baking soda. Spritz heartily with water and vinegar, and leave it overnight. Scrub in the morning. It may take longer than oven cleaner, but it will save your lungs and the environment!

Of course oven cleaner is toxic. If you want it to work, it has to be. But it is a base, like soda or ammonia. Perhaps you should wipe out the oven with vinegar. That should neutralize any remaining oven cleaner that is left in there. I suspect leftover over-cleaner is what you are smelling.

And yes, you can get oven cleaner that has no fumes. It's a lemon base and you can get it at just about any store.

Sorry to tell you this, but yes. The oven cleaner residue is probably what's making your throat burn. But take heart - the residue will totally burn away after a few uses of your oven, and no more burning throat. Meantime, you might want to run the exhaust fan or if it isn't too cold, open a kitchen window a crack. Staying out of the kitchen as much as possible while the oven is on for now should also help.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceOctober 22, 2008
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
🎉
🎄