MetalCleaning

Removing Paint From Aluminum

I'm trying to find something whether it be a cleaning product or home idea to clean acrylic paint off aluminum. I have a 50's model travel trailer that at one time painted with acrylic paint. Now that I have it I'd love to restore it but haven't been able to come up with anything to get the paint off the aluminum. I've tried mineral spirits, gas, diesel, paint strippers and even aluminum cleaners and nothing seems to cut it. The gas so far has done the best but would love to find something that I don't have to scrub so hard. Thanks for any help.

Kiddo from Florida

Hi Kiddo!!! My suggestion will probably depend on how much paint is on the aluminum. My helpful grown up kids painted the family room a few years ago (I don't live in my house but I do visit my son for extended visits...and we do get along great...lol). Anyway, I decided I wanted to get the paint off of the aluminum frame for the sliding door. I used the "magic erasers" and they worked great. It does take time and elbo grease but I got the paint off of it completely. Again, I imagine it depends on how big of a job you have.

This is a complete travel trailer. I believe it is a 10x6. It's like the teardrop style. I'll get the Magic Erasers and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestion.