Looking for Online Social Groups

Does anyone know of any good social networking sites other than darn Facebook or Twitter? I think the company motto for both FB and Twitter must be, "Watch us as we take over the world and shut down every other site!" I joined a good one called Eons.com about 7 months ago following the suggestion of someone here on ThriftyFun and really like it, but there are rumors going around that Eons is about to fold up. I hope not, but if it does, I'd really like to find another one.

FB and Twitter just don't sound like my cup-of-tea. I am not interested in live chatrooms or those fancy-schmancy games like Farmville. Chatrooms are just a cross between junior high school and sleazy singles bars and those "virtual reality" kind of games like Farmville are boring in my opinion. Thanks in advance for any help!

By Lynn from Chico, CA

My advise would be to take a topic/subject you are interested in and do a Google search for that and the word forum. For example if you have a real interest in cars do a search for "car forum". I was into a game called City of Heroes some years ago and did a search for an appropriate forum. I no longer play the game but I converse via messages to my buddies on that forum everyday. We not only talk about the game but other issues as well: music, world news, humorous finds on the internet and travel. Give it a whirl, no telling what you might find.

Thanks, Suntydt; I'll give that a try! (I tried contacting you directly to thank you, but the ThriftyFun site wouldn't let me; kept telling me I wasn't logged in but I was; go figure.)

Facebook doesn't have to be like you described. I'm on Facebook and I love reading the posts of my friends. I don't "chat," play games, nor do I view any of my friends' gameplaying. There is a "hide" button that you can use. I also have limited information on there as I do have a few friends that I've met over the internet at other sites such as this one and a few ezines I've received since 1995. As long as you keep Facebook to those you know and trust and have listed it as private, it can be quite enjoyable. So far, Facebook is only as public as you allow.

Lynn, if you're looking for more of a business-related social network, you might try Linkedin. I joined, but use it more to research other companies for my job rather than for my own networking. Myspace was one network I tried early on, but it wasn't compatible with my screen reader. Then I went so long without logging in that I forgot my info. I tried the "contact us" link, but never received any response. No offense, but I'm with Noella. I use the Facebook Mobile site at m.facebook.com. Not only is it far easier on my screen reader (no graphics,) but since I use it primarily to network with family and friends, it works best for me. Hope you find your solution.

You might like www.experienceproject.com

Experience Project is a free social networking website of online communities connecting people through shared life experiences. It's an interactive, user-submitted network of personal stories, confessions, blogs, groups, photos, and videos.

Users can join communities organized around experiences and interests, and view shared experiences organized by city and region to connect and interact with people. I hope this is helpful.

December 3, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of any online social groups, other than Friendster, MySpace, or Facebook? None of those 3 are my cup-of-tea. I am looking for sites that have real-time chat rooms (as opposed to just forums) and which are for middle-aged or older women who are not looking for dating opportunities and who are non-political, non-religious, non-sportsy, non-exercisey, and non-outdoorsy types?

I am having a hard time finding chat rooms that aren't monopolized by, especially, political arguments, sportstalk, or flirting. I heard about one called wow.com, but the website appears to be down. And there's one called owl.com for older women, but it's all the way back east; so there goes any opportunity of maybe meeting any of the members. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

By Lynn from Chico, CA

Looking for Online Social Groups

All I can suggest is, you can use this site http://www.similarsites.com to try to find similar sites to the ones you mentioned. It may help or it may not, but you have nothing to lose by trying it. (04/06/2010)

By Suntydt

Looking for Online Social Groups

Here are two community sites that are especially for moms. Maybe one of these is more what you are looking for: Mommysaver.com and CafeMom.com

I have no affiliation with either. (04/07/2010)

By Amy3e

Looking for Online Social Groups

Not Over the Hill is a good one that I belong to. (04/08/2010)

By swood67005

Looking for Online Social Groups

Lynn, I don't know how old you are, but there's a site that I like for baby boomers (age 50 and older). It's Eons.com and you can log on to it at www.eons.com. There are different chat rooms for whatever you're interested in. There's one for knitters, grandmas, religion, music, etc. (04/08/2010)

By Jjackie

Looking for Online Social Groups

http://www.aarp.org/ has an on-line community (04/08/2010)

By Maryeileen

Looking for Online Social Groups

Hi, everyone, thanks for the wonderful suggestions; I've joined NotOvertheHill and Eons, although they don't seem to have chat rooms like I'm looking for. And thx, Suntydt, for the suggestion about similarsites.com; I checked it out and they didn't come up with sites similar to the one I used to love but which went down; but similarsites.com is a great site to know about anyway, I know I'll use it in the future. And I have tried the aarp.com site in the past but found the people not the friendliest: made several "friend" requests but all were ignored, so I eventually dropped my account there. I've already gotten "friend" requests on NotOvertheHill and Eons and I just joined them; much friendlier peeps! (04/12/2010)

By Lynn from Calif.

Computers Internet TipsDecember 3, 2010
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online
Social Security Card
Filing for Social Security