Garden: Confederate Rose

My Confederate Rose in full evening bloom. It has a baby grasshopper on board.

By Dragonflysue from Ludowici, GA

What a great photo! I just love Confederate roses. Neat that you caught the little grasshopper in the photo too!

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

A friend of mine gave me a cutting he had rooted, of a Confederate rose bush. I had never heard of them before. The one I have has buds on it and getting ready to bloom soon. I can hardly wait to see them! My neighbor keeps saying, " where are the thorns as a rose has thorns." I told him this type doesn't. He doesn't believe its a rose bush. Cant wait for the blooms as then he will also want one!

Mary - N.C.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

It is actually in the Rose of Sharon aka hibiscus family. I have successfully rooted some from cuttings. I love mine!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Garden: Confederate Rose

This picture is my Confederate Rose. It is just blooming and can be grown as a tree or large bush. As a tree it gets leggy. They also come in white.

I have rooted many to give away, by just cutting a branch and putting in water to grow roots. This picture was taken while I was on another Group and does have a copyright.

By Sherry from Valdosta, GA

Answers:

Garden: Confederate Rose

It is a lovely plant. I wonder if it you live in zone 6? (05/29/2009)

By LITTLE SUZY

Garden: Confederate Rose

I am so glad to see your post! Not only that you are from Georgia, but the fact that you chose to post about a Confederate Rose. There is one in my parent's yard that I have been thinking of moving to my yard since they have passed away. I think that I will try to root one from a branch before moving the entire tree. Thanks so much for sharing your photo and experience of sharing this lovely plant with others. (05/29/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Garden: Confederate Rose

I have a whole "fence" of them. My mother had a tree and I just took cuttings and stuck them on the ground and 3 yrs later I have a beautiful fence on them. (06/12/2009)

By battlespire