Removing Gum From Leather Car Seat

By Tammy 10 3

How can I get gum off of a leather seat in my car?

Tammy from FL

Showing: Answers Sort

By Patricia Huggins 1 1 Flag

I woud try freezing the gum first with ice or another implement which will not wet the leather .

Once frozen you should you should be able to pick it off with your finger nail.

Hope this works! I've done this to remove gum in many "sticky" spots. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I'd be afraid to pick the frozen gum off the leather--it might take the color/finish off the leather. What about using the leather cream since oily stuff (mayonaise, peanut butter, etc.) is good for removing gum from hair, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I tried the baby oil, and the ice pack, and after almost 10 minutes of hard work thought about something else.

I put very hot water in a nylon pack, and only 30 seconds after placing them on the gum, is completely dissolved! It even partially came out with the bag. 2 minutes later I was done.

Judging from this effect, against the common advice, I'd bet chicken soup causes cancer.:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I would try using a product called Goo Gone first(can't do any harm to your leather seat) it also works great for removing old stickers on your windshield and much more.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sheila Cathers 1 Flag

I tried metaholics' advice of using the hot water. it really worked! I didn't have a nylon bag, but I boiled some water and used an old towel/rag. I laid the rag on the seat, poured a small amount the the boiling water on, left it for about 30 seconds. (Iput on my rubber dish gloves so I could hold the rag and scrub). with a little rubbing, it came off. I think the heat melts it enough to where it's soft enough to come off. Thanks !!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I found scotch tape worked well on my leather seat (also highly endorsed by a Lamborgini owner.) Just treat it like you're waxing... ;o

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I found that if you spray some armour all on the gum and let that sit for about 30 seconds and then scratch the gum off with your finger nail it won't damage the leather or take much of your time!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

After reading the I'd try's in this form, I tried ended up trying two of them. First the Scotch Tape: worked well on the areas with very little gum, but in one area, removed the leather finish. Next the <b>hot water: worked great. I used a paper towel instead a cloth rag or nylon bag.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rei Shinozuka 1 1 Flag

In the "gum on leather couch" a number of vegetable oils were recommended. I had very fresh gum (my 7 year old's) on my Corvette leather seat. No idea what would work best.

The vegetable oil solution worked perfectly! Put some on a paper towel, and work into the gum. Soon it softens the gum up, and then just starts to lift gum without smearing or spreading, which is what usually happens when you try to remove it. Thank you Thrifty Fun!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Leather Car Seats
Cleaning Leather Car Seats
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning LeatherJanuary 24, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Leather Car Seats
Cleaning Leather Car Seats
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:55:00 AM on 10.0.2.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings