Can I Defoliate an Indoor Avocado to Reduce Leaf Size?

I have 2 avocado trees I started from the pits in avocados bought at a supermarket. They are now in terra cotta pots and one is at least 2' tall and the other about 1/2 that size. I want to use these as house plants, but the larger one has such big leaves I wonder if it could be defoliated like sheffelera and Japanese maples can?

I have done this before with success, to get smaller leaves because the 2 plants mentioned regrow smaller leaves which I use in bonsai plants. I don't plan to bonsai the avocado trees, but the leaves are so large on the large one it seems that it would be aesthetically more appealing with smaller, if only a little smaller leaves than it has now.

Thanks for any assistance.

By David from Greer, SC

Home and Garden Gardening TreesMay 3, 2010
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
damage to chard leaf
Controlling Leaf Miners
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality