Homemade Faux Finish Paints

Does anyone have any tips about making your own soft suede paint? I need to know: paint types, proportions, do's and don'ts, etc. Thanks.

Old Guys rule! (the couch anyway).

By Jim from Tulsa, OK

From the other posting, I am assuming it's a fine grit paint? Rottenstone? Check on ebay for carbomer thickener.

The ingredient in suede paint is silica, and you can buy it in boxes at Lowe's for around $4.95. This will do one gallon of paint, I believe. This same silica is in cat litter, and you can run it in a blender to make it as fine as sand. But caution: Do not breathe the fumes, or dust from silica. Mix the silica with glaze and your paint, and voila! Suede paint!

November 24, 2009 Flag

Does any one have a frugal alternative to the "suede" paint finishes? It seems to me there must be some kind of fine sand and a gel of sorts to keep the sand suspended in the latex paint. I hate being held hostage by the "designer" prices for paint and for textured finishes.

Is there a "glazing" recipe out there as well for those "faux" finishes? The colors offered are not my favorites. Thanks in advance.

Alicia from Prescott, AZ

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Painting TechniquesNovember 24, 2009
Faux Fur
Fixing Matted Faux Fur
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
containers of bathtub finger paint
Making Bathtub Finger Paints
kids painting
Homemade Paints for Kids
🎉
🎄