Attaching Pressure Gauge to Pressure Cooker

I have a pressure cooker that was used one time after I bought it about 5 years ago. It is like new, even the gasket. However, I lost the pressure gauge and had to buy another one. Unfortunately, the brand is discontinued (Innova), but I was told by another company that they could send one that would work. I am not familiar with these cookers and have lost the manual as well (can't replace it). Can anyone tell me, is the pressure gauge supposed to snap on the lid?

I was told by a saleswoman that it was, but I can't get it to do so. I don't remember my mother's snapping on (years and years ago). Will the gauge fly off from steam if it just sits on the lid? It is very heavy. I didn't snap it on the one time I used it and either this one I have doesn't need to be snapped on or it doesn't fit. Please help, I hate to waste this cooker as it was about $80 when I bought it about 4 years ago. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Recipes.

too, if I can get it to work!

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Problem solving here--- my giant canning pressure cooker has the gauge that just "sits" on the ?? outlet... it is heavy and that is part of the "works". Try a small amount of water, the rack and a potato in your pressure cooker-- let the steam ecape the outlet at a pretty fast speed, then sit the guage on the outlet. When the guage starts to intermittently jiggle and let steam ecape, turn the fire down to where the jiggle and psst is present but not fast... give it 5 minutes or so-- cool the cooker ( mother used running water in the sink-- when the psst stops-- lift the guage with a fork-- should be no steam escaping in a rush-- and it works. Check your potato for doneness. Assuming the outlet isn't blocked with something-----

Now, the greater problem is..... how to know if your food has cooked enough-- I'd google pressure cookers and receipes online and see if you can glean enough information.

good luck

I read your previous post and disagree with her directions. There should be a round "post"that sticks up in the middle of your lid to hold the gauge. The gauge has 3 different Pressures depending on what you are cooking. You are to put the gauge on immediately and heat until the gauge starts to jiggle. Turn the heat down until it only jiggles two or three times a minute.

Continue cooking according to the time specified in the recipe.Next cool for 5 minutes then run cold water over the lid until the steam stops.Lift the guage off with a 2 prong fork. If the lid doesn't want to open at that time,continue running the cold water over it while gently lifting the gauge off with the fork. Your food may be cooled more than you want,but you can heat it without any pressure gauge. I would be happy to send you some recipes via email if you like. My email address is bjptl AT bellsouth.net. Judy in Alabama

I've cooked with a pressure cooker many times and I do remember the recipe book saying that you can use running water to remove the pressure, but it also stated that there are some foods that need to cool on their own as this extra time is part of the cooking process. I always used running water over the lid, making sure to not hit the gauge - the pressure will cool with a hiss and then the "gauge" can be removed. Now there are different kinds of "gauges." A pressure cooker for canning is usually larger and its gauge is marked - maybe with temps. A cooker for regular meals is just a heavy knob with a hole in the bottom of it that sits on the post that sticks up from the lid - that post having a hole in it. Googling pressure cooker recipes should be good enough for regular cooking. I rarely use a cookbook anymore. I just google what I want and do a print-out.

Now, after googling Innova pressure cookers, I notice that the "regulator" as they call it is adjustable for 5-10-15 lbs of pressure. You might want to google your brand and order exactly what came with your cooker - even though your model might be discontinued, there are probably parts still available.

Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 19, 2008
Metal Door
Attaching a Curtain Rod to a Metal Door
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Open Pressure Cooker
Removing Pressure Cooker Gasket Odor
Pressure Cooker with Vegetables
Pressure Cooker Recipes
🎉
🎄