Tree HealthTrees

Terminal Leader Was Snapped Off of Maple Tree

Something nipped the top off my prized red maple seedling that I brought from my mom's house and planted last year. Since the main "trunk" (1/4 or 3/8 inch in diameter) was snapped off about one foot off the ground, the seedling has sprouted several very healthy side branches, the largest emanating from approximately 1 inch above the ground level.

Should I worry about the future full-grown tree trunk being weak and susceptible to splitting because of this situation? My mom has passed away and it would be difficult for me to get another seedling from the maple tree where she used to live, but if this one is ultimately doomed to have a weak trunk, should I not waste my time on it?

By Harriett from northwest AR

I would leave it alone for a couple of years and let it recover and then prune some of the side branches. The new leader will become stronger. I would prune the broken part even so the tree can heal itself. Maples are tough.

When you prune it leave one branch. It will become a tree. I have done this with maples & other trees. I prune in the fall, good luck.