Removing a Set In Coffee Stain on Clothing

My husband spilled coffee on his new cotton robe and then put in by the washer and drier. I was not told of the stain and when I came across the stain it was approximately 3 hours later. I sprayed the stain with Shout, let it sit for 5 minutes and then laundered as usual with warm water. I did not notice the light stain when I removed the robe from the washer and then dried it. Now I have a light stain and a not happy husband; so how do I remove a set in coffee stain on a cotton robe?

By Cathy

Let your husband try to get the stain out himself and see how he does. He has no reason to be unhappy with you. Stains need to be treated as soon as possible. He should have told you it was stained. What color is the robe? Is it colorfast? Try bleach if it's white. Moisten the spot and rub bar soap or shampoo on it and rub in well, then launder. Hang the garment in the sun, maybe it will fade in the sunlight. Just do the best you can but not all stains come out.

I got a set-in (washed and dried) coffee stain out of a gold cotton bedspread by soaking it for a week in Oxyclean (name brand, not a substitute) and water. I think the gold color was lightened slightly - but not much. I have good luck getting food-based stains out with that product and a long soak.

If all that fails then you can moisten the spot pour lemon concentrate on it and salt it down good with salt and lay flat in sun and it will draw it out.