Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Grease From Electric Skillet

I have a Farberware electric skillet that needs the grease and gunk removed from the bottom. I cannot soak it because it is electrical. What on earth can I use to get all this baked on grease off?

Bev from Lincoln, Nebraska

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Loretta B. (Guest Post)09/11/2008

Hi, I have the same electric skillet and I love it. I clean the bottom outside with Awesome. I get this at the 99 cent store. I spray it on, let it sit a couple of minutes and then lightly scrub with a non scratch cleaning pad. It cleans it with hardly any effort. I clean the bottom inside with a paper towel to remove any grease. Then I put about a 1/2 inch of water in it and heat it up until it boils. I let it boil for about 2 minutes, then turn it off. I let it cool for several minutes, and then gently take my spatula for teflon pans and scrape off anything that was stuck on the bottom. I pour out the water and wipe the pan clean. Loretta

By Noella [9]09/11/2008

Another point: If you're cleaning the outside of the skillet, it's a lot easier if you remove the handles first. They're usually attached with just screws.

By Noella [9]09/11/2008

Barkeeper's Friend works well also. It might need a little elbow grease to go with it though. I'm thinking the Easy Off would be a good choice also.

By Myrna [13]09/10/2008

Easy Off oven cleaner should do the job. I've used it on my cookware and it does a great job.

By Chap (Guest Post)09/10/2008

I have had great success with this. Put plain water in your skillet while cool. Turn on the skillet and as the water boils gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a temperature safe plastic spatula. After you have loosened the particles carefully unplug it and empty it into your sink. Run hot water and some detergent into the drain to keep it from clogging after emptying your pan. Good luck and God bless

By Lilli Bentley09/10/2008

You might try using - now this sounds weird, but it works - "Shout" Laundry Spray. It really dissolves cooked, hardened grease. You might have to let it soak for a bit. I've use it on my stove to get that stubborn brown grease that has been heated. Careful how you spray it on your electric appliance and clean off the residue with a little water and cloth. Hope it works for you.