VentilationHome Improvement

Enclosing a Propane Water Heater

Could we close in a propane water heater or does it need to be vented? We want to use the workroom as a bedroom and weren't sure what we should do with it. Thanks.

By Tammy from S CA

All water heaters have to be vented!This is online.

Is propane safe to use in my home?

Propane is a safe fuel to use in your home and business. Propane has a narrow range of flammability and cannot be ingested like gasoline or alcohol fuels because it is released as a vapor from a pressurized container. In addition, award-winning preventive maintenance programs like GAS Check (Gas Appliance System Check) ensure that homeowners understand how to properly maintain their propane appliances and enjoy a healthy, safe environment. Good luck.

Ok maybe I should reword it. It's vented from the ceiling I just want to know can it be enclosed with drywall or paneling with a hing side to be able to get to it. I looked for that answer online and couldn't find it any where.Thanks

Contact your city housing inspector, or the utility which supplies your propane for exact instructions. I would say it has to be vented and plenty of space around it. A louvered door closet would be the closest thing to enclosure.

Check local codes. The local authority will sell you a permit. A closet may be built around a water heater but, there must be an allowance for combustion air for the burner. The local inspector may be able to tell you what is required. I think that I would talk to the propane company. They are the real experts to talk to. Good luck!