Enclosing a Propane Water Heater

Could we close in a propane water heater or does it need to be vented? We want to use the workroom as a bedroom and weren't sure what we should do with it. Thanks.

By Tammy from S CA

All water heaters have to be vented!This is online.

Is propane safe to use in my home?

Propane is a safe fuel to use in your home and business. Propane has a narrow range of flammability and cannot be ingested like gasoline or alcohol fuels because it is released as a vapor from a pressurized container. In addition, award-winning preventive maintenance programs like GAS Check (Gas Appliance System Check) ensure that homeowners understand how to properly maintain their propane appliances and enjoy a healthy, safe environment. Good luck.

Ok maybe I should reword it. It's vented from the ceiling I just want to know can it be enclosed with drywall or paneling with a hing side to be able to get to it. I looked for that answer online and couldn't find it any where.Thanks

Contact your city housing inspector, or the utility which supplies your propane for exact instructions. I would say it has to be vented and plenty of space around it. A louvered door closet would be the closest thing to enclosure.

Check local codes. The local authority will sell you a permit. A closet may be built around a water heater but, there must be an allowance for combustion air for the burner. The local inspector may be able to tell you what is required. I think that I would talk to the propane company. They are the real experts to talk to. Good luck!

Home and Garden Home Improvement VentilationFebruary 28, 2010
propane tank attached to backyard barbecue
Using Propane Tanks
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater