Crocheted Denim Purse

This is a denim purse with jute handles and a button closure. I crocheted a rectangle for a sample, since I wasn't sure the heavy weight denim would work for this project. Instead of starting over, I chose to make a purse with it.

Approximate Time: One afternoon

• sewing scissors
  • denim blue jeans
  • jute
  • sewing needle
  • yarn needle
  • large button
  • sewing machine
  • large crochet hook
  • elastic ponytail holder

Instructions:

Cut denim into 1 1/2 inch strips. I just used scraps I had from other projects, so the colors don't match exactly.

1. Sew ends together to have one continuous piece to work with. I did this by machine, but you can also do it by hand.
  2. Crochet a rectangle twice the size you want your purse to be tall. My purse ended up being 14 inches wide by 9 inches high.
  3. Sew the sides together.
  4. Crochet jute as wide as you would like your handles to be. I crocheted the jute about 1 1/2 inches wide until I liked the width for the purse.
  5. Sew the side seams with the sewing needle and fishing line. Attach the jute handles through a "hole" in the crocheted piece and tie a slip knot. Repeat until the handles are attached in a placement that satisfies you.
  6. For closure, attach a large button and an elastic loop for closure.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

Excellent job, and a great way to use up all the old jean's legs I've saved. I've made dozens of "bags" by just opening the seams, and sewing both legs together to form a "bag". We use them for lots of things, sport's equipment, extra linens hung on a hook in the closet. I made a "Tunnel" at the top and crochet heavy yarn to make a drawstring, and they'll go anywhere, hang anywhere, so old blue jeans are never really done. They just keep on going, kinda like the Energizer Bunny.

Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Pookarina

I love it. Thanks again for another project using denim.

I think this is very, very cute. What size of hook? I use "Q" for my rag rugs. I also cut them at 1 1/2" but I bring in the edges and sew so there are no raw edges. I like the way you have raveled edges. That makes it a very interesting look.

Blue denim crocheted purse.
Making a Crocheted Denim Purse
Crafts Crochet PursesSeptember 30, 2010
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
🎉
🎄