Bleaching Denim

Category How To
Your denim clothing can be bleached to lighten a dark color or you can get creative and bleach designs onto the fabric. This is a guide about bleaching denim.

Make your jeans into a fun fashion statement. Make the most unique jeans around! Jeans are tied, scrunched, folded and secured with rubber bands, soaked in bleach and hot water.

Recycled Bleached Jeans

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fading dark jeans. You can fade dark jeans for an overall lighter look or spot bleach for a reverse tie dyed appearance.

dark jeans

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The company that makes RIT Dye Fast Fade has discontinued this product. Does anyone have a homemade recipe or method to fade very dark indigo denim? I want to fade my jeans a couple of shades all over, not just to spot fade them.

Thanks for all replies.
Truerblue

Answers

Best Answer

I tried doing this with bleach. I washed the jeans first not using any fabric softener. Then I added a 1/2 cup of bleach to the washer on a short cycle, it faded them. After this, I re-washed them in just a small amount of soap and used fabric softener. This is probably tough on the fabric a bit, but it did fade them.

If anyone knows another way, please answer as I too would like to know. Thanks :)

Best Answer

If you start with thick jeans - Arizona's are nice - the bleach will both fade and soften them up. It's hard on the fabric, which is why a thicker denim is advisable; I did my first bleach fading on a pair of Arizona's on clearance for 6.75. Thirty dollar Jeans for 6.75, so I wasn't too worried about ruining them. I soak my jeans in the bath tub with bleach and water. I'm going to try a few patterns (I bought five pairs of the 6.75 jeans), like you'd do with tie dye, by "painting" on a bleach and water mix.

Best Answer

Try using a cup of salt in your machine - and only half fill it. I wear jeans all the time and if you wash them every day for a week, on a long cycle, they will fade all over. You can see how much they have faded if you compare the outside color with the inside of one of the pockets. If you want them softer - soak in a very strong solution of fabric softener overnight and then wash as usual. The salt helps with softening too.

Best Answer

The RIT Fast Fade is not sold anymore, but they do still sell what is called RIT Color Remover which does the same trick. Use it in a tube or bucket so that you can reuse it if needed. Hope you like it.

Best Answer

USE Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder!
I'm so bummed that RIT discontinued this product. I spent the morning finding an alternative. Good News, RIT still had the MSDS for Fast Fade on it's website so I was able to find out what made it so great at discharging indigo-dyed denim. <http://www.ritd  SDS.74.lasso>

The main agents are Sodium carbonate and Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate. Of these two agents, it's the Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate that works to discharge the dye through oxidation. The carbonate alkalizes the pH, stabilizing the dihydrates reaction with the dye (it's basically a water softener). It also helps ensure proper chemical bonding between the dye and the fibers of the denim.

A quick check on the Household Products Database provided by the US Department of Health and Human Services website brought to light products still at market with these ingredients. <http://househol  ov/index.htm> It looks like Sunlight Machine Dishwashing Powder has both of these agents and would be relatively safe to use at home. I do NOT recommend any novice go out and buy Pool Shock which is 99% Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate and start messing around in their washing machine. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate is not to be trifled with! So give the Sunlight a try.

How do you bleach denim to create a fashionable look?

Answers

There is a product called Easy Bleach. I saw it in a catalog called Home-Sew but it`s not cheap.It`s around $9. I'm sure someone out there has a cheaper solution.

http://www.homesew.com/" rel="nofollow" target="new">http://www.homesew.com/

By guest client (Guest Post)

try domestos i did and it worked

By guest client (Guest Post)

I saw a clip on TV for decorating denim and they used one of those bleach pens to create different shapes, etc on jeans, jackets and shirts. I would think a template or stencil would work to help with the lines, unless you are very artistic.

By guest client (Guest Post)

Rit Dye offers a product called Fast Fade. It works great to lighten up denim. It's hard to find in stores, but you can easily get it at the "Rit Dye" online store. - Jennifer

By guest client (Guest Post)

The bleach pen for drawing shapes on denim is so unique I'd like to have more ingenious ideas like that.

Toss your denim into the bathtub or out on the sidewalk. Pour the bleach slowly onto your item while standing above it. Let it soak in for about two minutes, then rinse it in cold water.(Be careful not to splash the bleach while pouring.) After that, wash it separately.

i must speak up here. DO NOT bleach denim on the sidewalk!! the bleach will seep into the ground, the water table, the ecosystem and the drinking water. it is a carcinogen. if using bleach, best to pour it down the drain. thanks!

So when you pour bleach down the drain it doesn't go back to the water table?

im trying to bleach a denim jacket. soaked it overnite in domestos, but instead of it bleaching all the jacket its all patchy. any suggestions would be most appreciated

If you put one fourth water to three-fourths regular bleach in a container as big as what you are bleaching; lay the object down evenlly and let the denim sit from anywhere from 30 sec. to 5 min. depending on how bleached you want it to look, itshould come out pretty good!
-Ray

im trying to bleach my denim backpack for school, but i dont know how i could bleach everything but the back, because the back is polyester and the bleach would weaken that. puleeez give me some ideas!

im was sitting in my room and filled it with bleach now everything in my room is sparkly

Editor's Note: This may be a joke but bleach in large amounts is very toxic. You may have chlorine poisoning, get out of there now!

I WANT ALL INFORMATION ON BLEACHING DENIM PROFESSIONALLY FOR THE BEST RESULTS

I want to bleach designs onto jeans for making a blue jean purse. Has anyone done this and if so which kind of detergent did you use? How well did it work? I am thinking of making a retro jeans purse for the kids for Christmas. Thank you.

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

I am looking for directions on how to use a tide stain pen to decorate denim.

Thanks,
Randi from Vacaville, CA