Bleaching Denim

Category How To
Your denim clothing can be bleached to lighten a dark color or you can get creative and bleach designs onto the fabric. This is a guide about bleaching denim.

How do you bleach denim to create a fashionable look?

Answers

There is a product called Easy Bleach. I saw it in a catalog called Home-Sew but it`s not cheap.It`s around $9. I'm sure someone out there has a cheaper solution.

http://www.homesew.com/

By dave (Guest Post)

try domestos i did and it worked

By (Guest Post)

I saw a clip on TV for decorating denim and they used one of those bleach pens to create different shapes, etc on jeans, jackets and shirts. I would think a template or stencil would work to help with the lines, unless you are very artistic.

By (Guest Post)

Rit Dye offers a product called Fast Fade. It works great to lighten up denim. It's hard to find in stores, but you can easily get it at the "Rit Dye" online store. - Jennifer

By Lana (Guest Post)

The bleach pen for drawing shapes on denim is so unique I'd like to have more ingenious ideas like that.

By Lynne (Guest Post)

Toss your denim into the bathtub or out on the sidewalk. Pour the bleach slowly onto your item while standing above it.

Let it soak in for about two minutes, then rinse it in cold water.(Be careful not to splash the bleach while pouring.) After that, wash it separately.

i must speak up here. DO NOT bleach denim on the sidewalk!! the bleach will seep into the ground, the water table, the ecosystem and the drinking water. it is a carcinogen. if using bleach, best to pour it down the drain. thanks!

By pedant (Guest Post)

So when you pour bleach down the drain it doesn't go back to the water table?

By lisa (Guest Post)

im trying to bleach a denim jacket. soaked it overnite in domestos, but instead of it bleaching all the jacket its all patchy.

any suggestions would be most appreciated

By (Guest Post)

If you put one fourth water to three-fourths regular bleach in a container as big as what you are bleaching; lay the object down evenlly and let the denim sit from anywhere from 30 sec. to 5 min. depending on how bleached you want it to look, itshould come out pretty good!
-Ray

By Geena (Guest Post)

im trying to bleach my denim backpack for school, but i dont know how i could bleach everything but the back, because the back is polyester and the bleach would weaken that. puleeez give me some ideas!

By katrina (Guest Post)

im was sitting in my room and filled it with bleach now everything in my room is sparkly

Editor's Note: This may be a joke but bleach in large amounts is very toxic. You may have chlorine poisoning, get out of there now!

By KEISHA (Guest Post)

I WANT ALL INFORMATION ON BLEACHING DENIM PROFESSIONALLY FOR THE BEST RESULTS

By Michelle (Guest Post)

I found a lot about bleaching denim on here, hth
http://sewing.a  sewnewsfaded.htm

By Michelle (Guest Post)

http://sewing.a  sewnewsfaded.htm

By perry (Guest Post)

ok so i just bought this wonderful jean denim jacket. But the color is too dark for my taste. Is there any way i can bleach it to lighten the color ?? but not ruin the jacket?

Editor's Note: Put 1 cup bleach in the washer while it is filling and before you put in the jacket so it is well diluted. (DO NOT pour bleach on the jacket or you will have bad white spots and then be wanting to know how to redye it.) You should be able to let it sit in the water for a while and it will lighten it. Basically, though, just washing the jacket and hanging it out in the sun a few times will lighten it quite a bit.

I want to bleach designs onto jeans for making a blue jean purse. Has anyone done this and if so which kind of detergent did you use? How well did it work? I am thinking of making a retro jeans purse for the kids for Christmas. Thank you.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

I am looking for directions on how to use a tide stain pen to decorate denim.

Thanks,
Randi from Vacaville, CA

This is a guide about fading dark jeans. You can fade dark jeans for an overall lighter look or spot bleach for a reverse tie dyed appearance.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes