Removing Cooking Smells After Frying Fish

I tried everything to rid the house of the odor that was left after frying a wonderful fish dinner. The only thing that worked was "Yankee" candle. I used lemon/lavender and had it on about two hours. No spray even came close to ridding the house of day old fish smell.

By rosemarybarry2 from Loveland CO

Best Answer

Boil vinegar and water on stove for a few minutes. Works for old cigarette smoke odor also.

Best Answer

I have tried the vinegar on the stove thing but nothing works as well as the "pure air" candle I just bought from my local Oreck store. They said it would even take the bacon smell out and it did. I also tried it with fried redfish and it works. I think burning candles works the best.

If you will set a lighted candle close by when frying fish (or most any 'smelly' thing) it will remove the smell without it getting all into the house.

After frying fish, I set out a small bowl of lemon ammonia & leave it overnight. Works like a charm.