Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

80's Themed Party Ideas

After some helpful suggestions, I've decided to go with an 80s theme for my sister's 40th birthday party. I've decided to make it fancy dress and will be playing 80's music. I have a few decorating ideas so far, I am going to paint large cardboard boxes black and stick coloured card squares all over to look like giant rubik's cubes, I am also going to hang some old vinyl records around along with streamers and balloons. Any more decorating ideas would be appreciated. I also need ideas for games to play and food to serve.

Thanks :)
jojo from Aus

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By vicki b (Guest Post)01/20/2009

I am throwing a party also and have bought glow sticks, neon straws and table decorations. People are wearing shell suits and big hair, and I have searched ebay looking for an outfit.

I would also love any extra suggestions, and have decided to make the record bowls and big rubix cubes as suggested.

Many thanks

By sam (Guest Post)11/11/2008

You could get the d.j to play a guess the band or song title quiz.

By lexi110 (Guest Post)10/12/2008

im also turning 13 and im also having an 80s party i was thinking of doing a best dressed contest and dressing up in leg warmers,finger less gloves, and tons of makeup! and decorating with lava lamps,bean bags,and old records. oh and make sure u have tons of pop rocks and rubix cubes. it would also awsome if u had a cake shaped like a rubix cube or a record.oh yah and twister ! anyways goodluck!

By kelsey wirth (Guest Post)09/16/2008

I wanna throw and 80's sweet 16 party, but I'm not sure what to do got any ideas?

By Courtnie (Guest Post)09/06/2008

I'm looking for 80's birthday ideas. I'm turning 13 plz help.

By (Guest Post)05/18/2008

Decorate the party space with neon colors and have your girl guests wear lots of jewelry and makeup.

By Dee01/20/2006

Play clips from 80's TV shows or movies and competing teams guess first what movie/show the song was from.

80's karaoke is lots of fun and gets everyone laughing.

If you're willing to go crazy, have breakdancing and Rubik's cube contests!

Dee from http://www.fun-theme-party-ideas.com

By jojo (Guest Post)01/19/2006

Thanks for all the suggestions, they're much appreciated :)

By Cris (Guest Post)01/17/2006

There's also an 80's music board game. It incorporates a DVD of videos that you have to identify the group or song. It's even fun for people not playing but in the room to listen and watch.

By samaree [3]01/16/2006

How about serving foods of the 80s (or at least the things I remember eating tons of in the 80s)? Combos, Cool Ranch Doritos, Clearly Canadian, Crystal Light, Easy Squeeze Cheese, Chicken in a Biscuit, BubbleTape, Big League Chew, Goober Grape, Hot Pockets, Capri Sun... You can find these in most major grocery stores or some specialty candy and snack shops. You should have people dress in fashions of the 80s - lots of lace, socks with pumps, white suits, up-turned collars, Izod sweaters, Polo shirts, etc. To make the record bowls, heat your oven to about 300 degrees. Put a Pyrex bowl upside down on the rack and allow to heat for a few minutes. Carefully place a record over the bowl and shut the oven. Allow to heat for a little while, it could be a minute, it could be three. When the record starts to soften over the bowl, remove and quickly shape using potholders. Let set for a couple minutes. Like, have a good party, K?

By Kelly [15]01/16/2006

Too bad you can't find Gremlins cereal or starwars cookies for the snacks!

By karen zetzer [16]01/16/2006

Having just turned 40 and not being able to have a party I thought of some things that would be neat. MTV came out when MTV was videos. Play some hair band videos, Wham, old Madonna. People will eat that up. Ask around. You would be surprised at the people who have videos they still pull out. I know I do! Make record bowls. I don't know the exact way but you sit old vinyl records over bowls and put them in the oven until they will bend over the bowls to make an album bowl. Think back and serve the snacks you remember from the 80's.

By (Guest Post)01/16/2006

Isn't there an '80's trivial pursuit out there? Or similar game (I think it's called I Love the '80's). That would be fun!