Dog Will Only Eat Liver

We have a four year old English Bulldog (Sir Winston Oliver Campbell of Stongate) whose eating habits have become increasingly harder to meet. My husband has spoiled him just a bit and now all he'll eat is pure liver. If I grind it up and mix it with veggies he'll go hungry first. I am concerned about his health as I am sure a pure protein diet is not good for him. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they over come it? I love this dog!

By jcamp9 from Niagara

So your letting this dog dictate to you! He will quickly become deficient in important vitamins and minerals if fed a liver only diet. I'd set down his proper dog ration and don't worry if he doesn't eat it. He figures you'll cave in and give him what he wants so of course he won't touch it. Let him go a few days if necessary. He won't starve. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh water.

I vote with takelbaby. You've got to do what is best for the dog, not what the dog wants. If you had a child who only wanted cake for every meal you would dream of giving in. As long as you allow this dog to be the head of the house he'll do it.

Yeah I agree also, he's not gonna starve his self, but I know how we love them dogs like our kids. Have you tried slowly mixing a little can dog food in with his liver slowly over the next few days or so? Good Luck.

All 3 of these responses are right on the money. The hardest part is YOUR part. Just remember, animals have an extremely high survival mode in them. They will only let their stubbornness dictate them so long, and then they wiill do what is necessary to survive.

Dogs' systems are not designed like ours tho, and people food is not good for them. An occasional small treat (mine get a small people treat MAYBE once or twice a month) won't hurt them. But it sounds like yours needs to come COMPLETELY off of any kind of people treat at all for about 6 months till he gets the idea that you aren't going to submit to his sad eyes.

Another thing, it is possible to train them to clean up their own food bowls before you'll give them a treat of any kind. Mine will ask, but if I look at their bowls and there's food in them (mine have dry down 24/7), I tell them "Nope, go eat your food". And they do. This holds true for people treats or doggy treats, including rawhides.

LIver is not only pure protein, it's got a toxic amount of Vitamin A. Your dog is just not hungry enough, so withhold food until his appetite is normal.

Two English Bulldogs, one sitting one laying down.
English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs HealthMay 4, 2009
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Beef Liver Recipes
Beef Liver Recipes
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest