English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos

Category Dog Breeds
Although originally used for fighting and bull baiting, the English Bulldog is now known as an affectionate, good tempered, popular pet choice in the US. This is a guide about English Bulldog breed information and photos.

We have a four year old English Bulldog (Sir Winston Oliver Campbell of Stongate) whose eating habits have become increasingly harder to meet. My husband has spoiled him just a bit and now all he'll eat is pure liver. If I grind it up and mix it with veggies he'll go hungry first. I am concerned about his health as I am sure a pure protein diet is not good for him. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they over come it? I love this dog!

By Janet Campbell from Niagara

Answers

So your letting this dog dictate to you! He will quickly become deficient in important vitamins and minerals if fed a liver only diet. I'd set down his proper dog ration and don't worry if he doesn't eat it. He figures you'll cave in and give him what he wants so of course he won't touch it. Let him go a few days if necessary. He won't starve. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh water.

I vote with takelbaby. You've got to do what is best for the dog, not what the dog wants. If you had a child who only wanted cake for every meal you would dream of giving in. As long as you allow this dog to be the head of the house he'll do it.

Yeah I agree also, he's not gonna starve his self, but I know how we love them dogs like our kids. Have you tried slowly mixing a little can dog food in with his liver slowly over the next few days or so? Good Luck.

All 3 of these responses are right on the money. The hardest part is YOUR part. Just remember, animals have an extremely high survival mode in them. They will only let their stubbornness dictate them so long, and then they wiill do what is necessary to survive.

Dogs' systems are not designed like ours tho, and people food is not good for them. An occasional small treat (mine get a small people treat MAYBE once or twice a month) won't hurt them. But it sounds like yours needs to come COMPLETELY off of any kind of people treat at all for about 6 months till he gets the idea that you aren't going to submit to his sad eyes.
Another thing, it is possible to train them to clean up their own food bowls before you'll give them a treat of any kind. Mine will ask, but if I look at their bowls and there's food in them (mine have dry down 24/7), I tell them "Nope, go eat your food". And they do. This holds true for people treats or doggy treats, including rawhides.

LIver is not only pure protein, it's got a toxic amount of Vitamin A. Your dog is just not hungry enough, so withhold food until his appetite is normal.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Bashful is a 10 month old English Bulldog. After weeks of looking for the right puppy, Bashful came to us through a fellow friend. It was one of those rare but special coincidences.

Bash loves to play with other neighborhood dogs and chew on his favorite stuffed animal. He also has a lazy side, which includes sleeping anywhere and in any position, haha. Bash is sweet and loving!

By ktin27 from Durham, NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Billy is a 3 year old British Bulldog I got from Whitehaven Cumbria 3 years ago. He likes to sleep! He is stubborn, grumpy, lovable and lazy!

By wendy wilson

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Our English Bulldog, Gus, was looking way too handsome to get in trouble for breaking through the screen door.

Gus is 3 years old. Gus flew all the way to the US from Ukraine 3 years ago when he was a puppy. He likes to pass gas, snore and eat.

By Sadie

Comment Like this photo? 18

Zelda is a 3 month old bulldog. She came to us 2 months ago via a breeder in central North Carolina. Zelda likes to chase cats and chickens. She does not like to wear her sweater, even though it's pretty cold outside.

By GinnyT from NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

I rescued Kira last year from an abusive home. She was kept in a kennel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and was not fed adequately because her owners didn't want to clean her mess.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Lucille is 2 year old English Bulldog. Lucy was stuck in a puppy mill here in Ohio. Her breeder was breeding about 8 different breeds and it was just horrific.

Comment Like this photo? 13

We got him when he was a pup.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Ellie is a 4 year and 11 month old English Bulldog. I got her as a puppy from a breeder in 2005. She likes to eat and sleep. Ellie is loving, protective, and sensitive to my moods and needs.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Daisy is a 6 month old English Bulldog. We purchased her from a breeder about 4 months ago. She likes to pester and tease our other pets (2 dogs and a cat) and EAT!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

We got her about a year ago from a family who couldn't take care of her. She's my best and life-long companion.

She's good with people and animals of all ages and is very free spirited, full of energy.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Littleman is a 3 year old (on January 27th) English Bulldog. We found a breeder on the computer, went to Mississippi in March 2003 to pick him up.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

English Bulldog named Charlie who is 2 yrs old. He loves chairs, it started with the kitchen chairs, but now everytime I take him anywhere he just sits on a chair like he's a person.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Jack and George (English Bull Dogs) Photo. Jack and George are our 3 month old English Bull Dogs. We purchased from a breeder at 8 weeks of age.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Here's our English Bulldog "Lady". She's 4 1/2 yrs. Red brindle with fawn and white. She's not just a dog, she's family.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

This is our English bulldog, BONKERS. This is a prime example Everytime she doesn't want to do something she runs and hides under this bed.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Montague's Cactus Jack (Bulldog). Monty, aka Montague's Cactus Jack is a 3 year old Bulldog. We searched breeders throughout the U.S. and found him 3 years ago. We originally were going to get one of his litter mates, but Monty chose us.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

We have had pets for our entire life. English Bulldog's became my passion 8 years ago.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Lady was a picture entry from a few weeks ago. Here are some of her relatives.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes