Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

I recently made the mistake of using a spray wax on my laminate floor. I also used a pad that looks like sheep's wool. After the floor dried it left fiber streak marks from the pad and now I have a floor with streaks marks that won't come off. How do I remove the wax from the laminate floor without ruining the finish?

Javier

By Javier from Spring Hill, TN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I just spent a week trying different methods for removing the buildup on my floors. I tried the vinegar, ammonia, and mineral spirits.routines to no avail. But what did work was zep floor stripper from home depot, a plastic scraper, a rag, and a sponge. I added a little more than the recommended amount in a bucket with water, and had another bucket of fresh water with a large, clean sponge. Wear gloves and dip the rag in the zep mixture, spread it in a small area, about 4x4. Let sit for a few minutes and use the plastic scraper, going with the grain of the laminate to scrape up the residue. Then use the sponge to wipe away the excess, squeeze it out and rinse the area twice with the water. I also used a fresh mop after finishing each room. The floors look great again. So don't give up hope.

This is the BEST and ONLY solution to removing wax build up from laminate flooring! I tried so many different solutions that I found and after wasting energy and money I'm so glad I came across your method to sanity before spending lots of money on new flooring. I can't thank you enough Kittu. ZEP floor stripper did the job quick and easy. THANK YOU!!!

Heavy duty floor stripper made by ZEP says not to use on wood but doesn't specify laminate. Did you use it on your laminate?

Our dark laminate flooring has a waxy coating of floor finish on it that leaves it sticky and hazy. Would you suggest using ZEP to clean it? I have never tried the product. I have tried many things and nothing works!

I did use this on laminate flooring. It worked great without damaging my floors finish. Good luck!

Did you use a sponge?

Which one specifically did you used and did you applied it and cleaned it out with a sponge?

March 24, 2010 Flag

We bought a home that had laminate hard wood flooring. The previous owner put Mop & Glo on them. They look good (kind of) when you first wax them, but the next day they look terrible. I have tried using ammonia with a bucket and scrub brush, but that leaves streaks. Should I rent a professional scrubber?

By Alice
from Brooksville, FL

Answers:

Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

This is the only website I could find that tells how to remove wax from laminate floors. One thing this article said is not to put too much water on the floor and that is VERY important or you will ruin the floor. justanswer.com (04/17/2009)

By Anonymous

Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

I used a razor to scrape up as much as I could of the wax, and followed up with using the blow dryer and paper towel as described in other postings. Worked like a charm. (11/22/2009)

By Jackpot82

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2009 Flag

How do I remove spilled wax from laminate wood flooring? I read the posts about removing wax from hard wood floors, but am not sure if the same would apply to laminate flooring.

Dale from London, UK

Answers:

Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

Set your blow dryer temp to high and have some paper towels ready. Mop up the melted wax as the dryer melts the wax. Just keep going over and over till all the wax is gone. Good luck. (02/18/2008)

By beentheredonethat

Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring

No, I don't think it's even close to the same way you'd handle real wood. You'll have to be very careful as laminates are basically just a picture of wood on top of a pressed-board type of board. On the very top is a clear sealer. The depth of quality of this sealer is what gives the laminate its grade & years of guarantee.

If it were me, I'd start by taking a plastic credit card (like one used for a grocery store, don't use your real one) & use that to scrape off most of the wax. Next with a blow dryer in one hand & a paper towel in the other, slowly heat the wax up just a bit with the blow dryer, then blot the wax up w/the paper towel..do this slowly & carefully.
If that doesn't work, you can take a 40 watt light bulb & use it to heat the wax up & blot w/a paper towel. If for some reason you remove a bit of your floors finish, most laminate floor manufacturers make a product to fix this & also to fix scrapes. Some people will just melt a crayon the same color over real wood.

* If all else fails, contact your laminate manufacturer. (02/18/2008)

By Cyinda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Man Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring
Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsMarch 24, 2010
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
Installing Laminate Flooring
laminate wood flooring
White Marks on Laminate Flooring
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:49:15 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.